• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Been advised against hand rearing if they are rejected.

Tempest

Warren Scout
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my sisters accidentally pregnant rabbit.

I found out that she was advised by her vet, that should the mother reject the babies (she hasn't given birth yet), she should just leave them alone and not intervene at all. As the chances are they'd die anyway.

Does this sound right to you? I understand the thinking behind it, but I'm sure I've read about baby buns being hand reared on here. Aren't you supposed to at least try?

I took in 5 pregnant giant x's as an emeregency rescue.

2 stayed with me, and 3 went to caroline at Eastbourne.

Of the 2 with me, one gave birth to 7, 5 live, whilst at the vet (she had to be induced after her contractions stopped)

Mum ate one leaving no trace, and wouldn't feed the remaining 4.

We hold mum on her side while comforting her, and let the babies feed from her once to twice a day and keeping them seperated from her at all times but then.

The babies are currently 5 weeks old and thriving.

We are also doing this for 4 others, including 2 orphans. All babies are fine.

I would always give them a chance, though handrearing purely on formula/goats milk is a very very hard job.

I can give you a link to a forum that will give you the best ideas on handrearing and what to use, if you want. However, there are a few different things you can do to help mum feed them. Handrearing should always be the last option.

Before that you can try standing mum over the nest, holding each baby in turn to mum's nipples (you'll need two of you for that), and also looking for a foster mum to take them on.

It's hard to hand rear a baby bunny as many of them die anyway. But I still think if they aren't suffering, it's worth giving them a chance.

I agree with StarlightsRR - hold mum and let the babies suckle from her. You can't just leave them to die!

I would add though that mum rabbits completely ignore their young for virtually all the time, only going to the nest to feed for a couple of mins once or twice a day. Because of this, there is a danger that the assumption is made that mum is neglecting the kits, when in fact it might be normal. Hand rearing success from newborn is virtually 0 so it is so important to be certain about the situation before intervening as you could easily do more harm than good.

So basically you should really give them a chance if they are rejected? (let me clarify again that the rabbit hasn't given birth yet, this all stems from my sisters vet recommending to just let them die if they are rejected - as well as the rescue they came from).

Ok, now any ideas how I should go about telling my sister? The thing is, if anything I have to say contradicts something she's heard elsewhere, she will always go with what the other person has said and get upset with me :roll:

The main reason handrearing doesnt work is that people hold babies upside down and the babies drown on too much milk.If you can hold mummy in the trance position they can feed from her very well.

Back