• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woo Hoo!!!! Litter Training Progress!!

We have been struggling this week with the little munchkins litter training, they had gone from weeing in one place and pooing all over to weeing and pooing everywhere in the space of a week!! :no: We put this down to them just being so young as they are still only nine weeks but it was at the stage where we were having to completely clean the cage out every night!

Anyway, we had a bit of a re-think with the cage and have switched from lining with newspaper and using wood shavings with one litter tray with wood based bunny litter to lining the cage with a spare off-cut of carpet with a cheap fleece blanket over the top. We've also got a bigger litter tray and have now got two in there with a base layer of wood based litter a layer of newspaper and wood shavings on top.

We have now gone an hour and one bun seems to have completely got the hang of it, no wees or poos anywhere but the litter tray!!!! :thumb: The other is slowly getting there, no wees anywhere but the litter tray but a couple of errant poos! Huge progress though and we are very proud of them! :D

I found that is was easier to just empty the litter tray (I have wood based litter with hay on top) to not clean the tray, just empty it. When I was using the sprays you buy from pet shops it cleaned away the smell and I got random poops all over. Even though I don't do anything other than wipe it clean with kitchen roll it doesn't smell, I'd say I clean it (if I'm honest) 1 in 3 days. Mind you, I only have one dwarf.

i had same prob with my two whom are now 13 weeks, i have litter trained them for wee but poops:roll: well we have a long way to go :roll: they just poop for England and Poop everywhere :lol::roll: i have put an extra litter tray in above bedroom and they use that loads now they do use the litter tray for poop but also finding they just poop anywhere they feel like really guessing that will come in time, we mastered the wee thing as they were weeing in every corner of bedroom so i got rid of shavings and straw stuck lino tiles down, and just line the bedroom with a towel which i change daily (old towels of ours) and i put carefresh in litter trays topped with hay saves cleaning time for me and i just sweep the dried poops up where they have their lazy moments:lol::roll: each day - i have found the hutch smells much better though with the carefresh plus my two were eating the shavings:shock: not good! you will find you will change your set up a few times before you are happy i know i have:lol: i am gonna opt for Megazorb for litter trays (and floor in winter) as that works out cheaper overall than carefresh as recommended by the lovely ladies on here i will prob only put straw back in over the winter for added warmth and will be saving up for a couple of snugglesafe warmers for them under their towels bless

we do look after our buns dont we:love:;)

Well, after the big overnight test things are still looking good, all wees in the litter tray and just a handful (not literally!! :lol:) of poos outside the tray but they are very near to it, like they just couldn't quite make it!! :lol:

Very happy bunny mummy today! :love:

Back