• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok so we have decided to get a wife bun for Jims, we have a few questions:

Things that have been used by Jims but cleaned thouraghly eg:

Towels
Blankets
Hay Box
Bowls

Are they ok to use for both of them?

Also will they share:

Litter tray
Hay box
Bowls

What should we do about the carpet and furniture as obviously it has Jimby's scent all over it?

I'm spraying half and half water and vinegar on my carpet to neutralise it. I don't think it's possible to neutralise everything.

Not yet, I am going to call some rescue centres today and see who they have avaliable but we have to wait a definate week as we are going away next weekend so it will be after we get back.

Ok so we have decided to get a wife bun for Jims, we have a few questions:

Things that have been used by Jims but cleaned thouraghly eg:

Towels
Blankets
Hay Box
Bowls

Are they ok to use for both of them?
Yes as long as washed!

Also will they share:

Litter tray
Hay box
Bowls

Some pairs do and some prefer a litter tray each - just play it by ear. Bonding often means litter habits go out of the window a bit with all the excitement so sometimes you need a few more litter trays for a while then gradually remove the ones that don't get used. Some buns squabble over food bowls etc - usually better to scatter the food to prevent territorial disputes and encourage natural foraging behaviour. My buns have two litter trays because although Poppy will jump into join Nino, he will not jump in unless she is not in it! :roll: So they have one each and Poppy does her best to go in both at the same time so as not to miss out! :roll::lol: Just play it by ear. :)

What should we do about the carpet and furniture as obviously it has Jimby's scent all over it?

You only really need to neutralise the space you use for bonding, if they are out separately it will be fine. When they do come to share the whole flat together as you slowly expand space once bonded in the neutral space it should be ok. It's difficult to neutralise carpets and furniture. Some people steam clean - that's an option, we didn't bother and it was fine.... but again you will need to first establish them in their neutral territory for quite some time and increase space slowly, hopefully by then it won't be a problem. You can always rub the girlie with a cloth and transfer that scent to Jimby's around the flat to equalize things a bit at that final stage, or steam clean, but for house buns it's harder to neutralise everything.

Ok I think what we are going to try and do is litter train the girlie whilst in seperate enclosures so that when she moves in with him they will both be clean and tidy, Jims is such a good boy with his toilet habbits, sometimes he will bolt from one end of the flat in to his potty and have a look on his face as if to say 'Phew, made it!!' :lol: :love: so we are hoping that his wife will do the same once trained up.

I think it may be a good idea then to have a litter tray at each end of the enclosure they both end up in so they have one each then see how that goes? I hope it does not confuse Jims and for him to start peeng everywhere!? :shock:

My boy is gobbling hay now :love:

Ok I think what we are going to try and do is litter train the girlie whilst in seperate enclosures so that when she moves in with him they will both be clean and tidy, Jims is such a good boy with his toilet habbits, sometimes he will bolt from one end of the flat in to his potty and have a look on his face as if to say 'Phew, made it!!' :lol: :love: so we are hoping that his wife will do the same once trained up.

I think it may be a good idea then to have a litter tray at each end of the enclosure they both end up in so they have one each then see how that goes? I hope it does not confuse Jims and for him to start peeng everywhere!? :shock:

My boy is gobbling hay now :love:

Rachel, the rescue you choose (if it's a good one that is well aquainted with it's rabbits) will know if the bunny you are interested in would be suited to being a houserabbit and part of that will be if she is litter tidy. If she isn't then you may not be able to train her - some rabbits just do not want to use a tray. I should know I have 5 of them (mucky bunnies that is not houserabbits :D).

But even if she were, the chances are, that by having them side by side, she may become untidy as she will be wanting to mark her territory. Even if she is tidy when next door to Jim, when in together,again this may change as they will be trying to sort out their area. Hopefully it won't be a problem and they will use the litter tray.

I would suggest that you don't worry about this just now, but speak to a good rescue who is familiar with the rabbits in it's care and get them to help you choose a rabbit that will suit the lifestyle and set up that you are offering.

Last edited:
I found that Bobby has always been litter tidy, but Carlo just won't luckily they have their own room, so not too much of an issue.. he poops in the tray and around the tray :roll::lol:

All good, thankyou guys!

Ok I have some more concerns/Questions:

Selfish Concerns:

Will Jimby be less affectionate to me? He loves to snuggle up with me and nudges my hand to keep stroking him, he lets me kiss him on the lips, nose... where ever I choose) He also licks my nose. I would be so upset if this all changed?! :cry:

Health Concerns- Jimby:

Having two bunnies will it make it harder to detect if Jimby is feeling unwell?
I could not bare to think that in getting him a friend is putting HIS health at risk. :shock:

All good, thankyou guys!

Ok I have some more concerns/Questions:

Selfish Concerns:

Will Jimby be less affectionate to me? He loves to snuggle up with me and nudges my hand to keep stroking him, he lets me kiss him on the lips, nose... where ever I choose) He also licks my nose. I would be so upset if this all changed?! :cry:

Health Concerns- Jimby:

Having two bunnies will it make it harder to detect if Jimby is feeling unwell?
I could not bare to think that in getting him a friend is putting HIS health at risk. :shock:

He may well change but I am afraid that it is likely he will be happier with another bun for company and this should be the main concern. He may not of course so that would be even better.

If you learn to read his behaviour, it will be no problem to tell when he is ill. Most bunny parents can tell their buns poos apart and you can watch him still so I don't see this being a problem.

Back