• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice and preparation

bubz_79

Warren Scout
Sorry for another advce thread by me.

Razzle is booked in for neutering on Thursday. He is 12 weeks and hes plums are definatly there. So my plan is for him to be inside with me in a 4ft by 2ft indoor cage for at least one day maybe 2. In that time the shed (8 x 6) will be built. when i put him back outside I will have to keept him separate from Dazzle I know, so I am going to do a temperary devide of the shed to give him a space of his own but so the are still in the shed together. Is this the right thing to do?

Dazzle will be booked in to be spayed in about 4 weeks time. So once she has recovered do you think if they have been like this in the shed it should be fairly easy to rebond them back together as they are so young?

Also in 2 weeks time I will also be bringing home my 2 new baby giant buns (they will be 8 weeks old). Again I will have an area in the shed for them too. Do you think it would be best to introduce them to Dazzle before she is spayed? or Keep them apart till she is done? or Not bond any of them back together till all 4 have been neutered?

I really want to be prepared for this so it goes as smoothly as possible. the babies will have only just left their siblings but will have had limited contact to Mum by then, on vets advice! They are no longer feeding from Mum on their own doing not human intervention.

The first two are already bonded, yes? So you could keep them in the shed with a mesh partition and hope they go back together fairly easily after the female recovers from her spey. The difficulty may be that, with it being a new shed, they will each mark their side as their own territory and fight when it comes to removing the partition. You could swap them over to mix scents etc. to try to prevent this.

I think I would rebond the first two, keeping the new ones separate. Then neuter/spey the second two when it's time, then try to (bravely) bond four rabbits..... in a neutral space, whilst also scrubbing out the shed....:D

I suppose it will also depend what sex the new ones are, but if you bond unspeyed Dazzle won't you have to split them again whilst she recovers?

I'm quite new to bunnies, but I thought I'd chip in, in the absence of expert opinions! Someone with more experience will be along soon.

:wave:Mr Bunny will need at least 6 weeks after his little op to be infertile...It may be that Lady Bunny may not be fertile any more but she wont want to be humped and she may be a little sore and hormonal herself.

Thanks TinTin was going to bump this later :)

Evie by the time i have given her 2 weeks to recover his 6 weeks will be up :)

Back