• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

weeing in bed!

paradox44

New Kit
Its official, washing out a wee stained vet mat everyday I do feel like a mother...

My rabbit has been moved indoors since her partner passed away and she has a lovely big litter pan and cat bed with a lovely big fluffy mat on. At the moment she keeps weeing all over that mat and i'm not sure what is the best action. I've tried putting food spread over the bed so she thinks "oh food zone" works until the food is gone! I've tried making the litter tray more wonderful by putting lots of feeding hay in it, which sometimes works. So i'm not sure what I should contunie with really as sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt! Any ideas? Thank you!

Is the fluffy bed against a corner? Does she use the tray at all?
I would put all nice food in the tray - to encourage her to spend more time in there. What do you wash the mat in? Some washing powders can make bun do this. Buns also like to pee in a corner so move the bed away from the edges. What sort of flooring do you have down? If it is carpet I would be inclined to remove the fluffy bed until the habit is broken and she consistently uses the tray, we had to do this a few times. Another thing we found helped was to put the tray somewhere bunny felt really safe - think about where the tray is and how you can reposition it to feel safer - in a corner, next to a tunnel/box.
Does she wee on the bed only when you are there? If so, how do you react? :wave:

Mine used to wee in their bed but that stopped once I managed to get their drinking down and after I'd removed it for a week or so. I wonder if removing it will force her to 'remember' where the litter tray is?

Alfie kept weeing on the vet bed I put down for him. In the end I removed it and put some cardboard down and now he sticks to the litter tray.

My little girl will use her litter tray until i provide her with something soft e.g. cat bed, duvet, bedding and she'd MUCH rather wee on that.

Strange huh? Can't offer any advice other than take it away. My little girl only wees in her tray now but I feel bad she doesnt have her little cosy bed.

Catch 22.....

Thank you for getting back to me everyone :wave:

Silver's bed is a cat bed so it goes across the length of her cage, with her corner litter box in the other end of her cage. The strange thing is in the garden she is 100% litter trained it comes to hutches or cages and its always wee in the bed! I guess for the time being there is no other option i'll have to remove her bed, just feel really bad as she loves lying on it! (The rest of the cage is lined in newspaper and their always sneaky wee's when noone is looking, when I find them I dont react badly as obviously its been and gone she has no idea what she could have done wrong!), how do I break the bad news to her, in person, by letter ;)?

(The rest of the cage is lined in newspaper and their always sneaky wee's when noone is looking, when I find them I dont react badly as obviously its been and gone she has no idea what she could have done wrong!), how do I break the bad news to her, in person, by letter ;)?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

My Arrabella will use the litter tray & then next time just poop or wee outside it! Right next to it! Last time I tried to scoop her up mid-wee & she jumped off flicking me & the sliding doors in wee!:shock::shock:

Since then Ive not seen her wee there again BUT have seen suspicious looking calcium marks in their cardboard boxes from dried wee AND they keep doing their soft poops all over the place instead of eating them or useing the tray! Honestly!:shock::shock::roll::roll::lol::lol::lol:

Back