• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried rabbit food?

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Hello.

When I bought my rabbit he was on flakey green (pea flakes) dried food. I have tried to gradually ween him onto other, better quality foods but as soon as he has more of the new stuff in his bowl he stops eating it!! However, he is starting to waste lots of his flakey food - he eats the flakes and leaves the hard bits that look like brown pellets.

He has a wide range of fresh vegetables twice daily and a few dandelions about twice a week (too many dandelions= yucky poo!). He is not a fan of hay either- I have tried allsorts!! Currently we have Burgess Excel. The girls loves it, Peter hates it!!

Any suggestions to what food would be a good one to try and ween him onto?!

Thanks in advance!

Tanya

Science Selective seems to be a favourite amongst RU'ers and it's a good quality pellet. I'd try mixing a very small amount of pellets in amongst his regular food and simply don't top the dish up until he's eaten EVERYTHING! Make sure he's always got a supply of fresh hay as well. Eventually, he should start eating the pellets. You can then gradually start to increase the pellets to flaked peas ratio until he's only having pellets. But in any case, the total amount of pelleted food should be no more than about an eggcup full per day (or less). If he has too many pellets, he won't want to eat his hay.

You say he's not a great hay eater - have you tried lots of different types of hay to see which he prefers? Mine are fussy and only like one or two types of hay. Try www.thehayexperts.co.uk who do sample packs of different hays. Mine love 'stalky' from Dust Free Hay or Burns green oat hay or Timothy hay from West Wales Willows.

Its what I feed my pair and the fosters who have no complaints except they always want more :lol:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/supreme-pet-...9_360/science-selective-rabbit-3kg-dry-p-1962

So this would be the best food? It seems pretty cheap considering its deemed to be 'good' food!

Thanks.

Yes that's the one, very popular in my house, it's not the cheapest rabbit food by far but as you only need to feed a very small amount, an eggcupfull each day per rabbit, it really does last a long time. My vets sells it as well as a local pet supermarket, Kennelgate, where it is cheaper.

Back