• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pet bunny released?!

On my regular dog walk I've come across a pet bunny which someone has obviously let loose (as it is quite a way from any houses) He (i shall assumehe is a he) has lived in this area for quite a few weeks now and the other day he was sat with a wild baby bunny:D, We tried to catch him as have other dog walkers, but he's a clever little fella:lol:.

I saw him tonight and his eyes are swelling up:(:(:(:(:( there are other bunnies with Myxi in the area. :(:(:(

I don't want him to suffer neither do i want to bring myxi home (dogs are always frontlined and bunnies vaccinated and i regulary flea spray the house)

I think i will try and catch him and get him to the vets to be put to sleep .. it makes me so angry:censored: if those stupid people who released him had taken him to a rescue centre or placed him on here he wouldn't dying.:(:(:(:( and i wouldn't be risking bringing myxi home!!:censored:

Aww that is so sad, is there any way you would be willing to have him nursed back to health if possible?

Oh, how sad :cry: I hope you manage to catch 'him' soon.

It may be possible that the bunny dug it's way out of it's garden though - I only say this because one of my buns is a digger - she cannot be left alone on grass as she digs her way out in no time - little monkey :roll:

The chances are that you are correct in your thinking that this poor bun was 'released' but I know from experience how hard it can be to catch/find an escapee bunny...

Why people don't vaccinate their bunnies though is beyond me!!! I know some buns can have an adverse reaction to the vacc's but the disease itself is far worse - Myxi is a cruel, evil thing :cry:

Good luck with catching him - you are doing the right thing :)

Oh poor bunny! :( Myxi is such an awful disease...I don't know how anyone can leave their bunnys unvaccinated.

(I edited my grammatical fail...)

Last edited:
How easy is Myxi to treat? I really would hate to bring it home -Charlie is 6 or 7 and I can't imagine losing him:(

I will see if i can catch him as he 'slows' down.;)

It's untreatable in an unvaccinated rabbit. If he has been done there's a chance he can be saved, but a doubt RSCPA would waste their money trying. :( If possible catch him (should be fairly easy if it is myxi) and take him to a vet, where they can put him out of his misery. Use a cardboard box that can be thrown away, rather than your own buns' carrier. DON'T take him home and make sure you take your clothes of and shower before you touch your buns again.

Good luck. It's a really hard situation for you, but you're doing the kindest thing.

Maybe I was a little harsh suggesting he has been dumped :oops:.. but it is about 4 miles from the nearest houses along a well used bridleway with plenty of road access, he has also stayed in the same area for about 3 weeks now, I would have assumed if he'd run 4 miles to get there he would have kept moving?

I have a week off school so need a good excuse not to spend it marking, I will find a towel, net and pet carrier (essential rabbit catching resources:lol::lol::lol::lol:)

As has been said myxi in a vaccinated bun IS treatable but I guess it also depends on how far along the disease is as to whether it would even be fair to try any treatment or if infact it would be kinder to let it sleep.
I understand you not wanting to bring him home, I would also hate to have to take him in to be pts but you have to put your buns first. You are being kind though, at least he will not continue to suffer. :cry:

I would ring your local RSPCA they may send someone to help you to catch the poor bunny...Good luck.

I read in a newspaper yesterday that an 11lb (yep 11lb) rabbit had been dumped in fields near Derby. How cruel some people are, it makes my blood boil. :evil:

R.I.P. My beautiful "Chloe" 14/2/2000 - 19/5/2010.
I love and miss you, sleep tight my angel.

Last edited:
Good luck. It's awful to think somebody would deliberately 'dump' any animal, surely if they genuinely can't care for it then it doesn't take any more effort to take it somewhere it can be properly cared for.:roll:

What a sad story. I hope he wasn't intentionally dumped. Fingers crossed you can catch him. Must be very upsetting for you, I would be sobbing in the street with my rabbit catching gear.

Hiya :wave::wave:

Sorry I've not been on here for a while .. Bad news I'm afraid i didn't get the chance to catch him. He was seen a few times with a tiny wild bunny friend and they had a perfect bolt hole under a fence and into brambles. We tried a few times but he was too quick under the fence. They both looked like they had myxi:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Lets hope he enjoyed the last few weeks of freedom as I can only assume he was stuck in a hutch prior to this. :cry:

Hiya :wave::wave:

Sorry I've not been on here for a while .. Bad news I'm afraid i didn't get the chance to catch him. He was seen a few times with a tiny wild bunny friend and they had a perfect bolt hole under a fence and into brambles. We tried a few times but he was too quick under the fence. They both looked like they had myxi:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Lets hope he enjoyed the last few weeks of freedom as I can only assume he was stuck in a hutch prior to this. :cry:

Aww poor little fella and little friend. :cry:

Mitsy-

In answer to your query about myxi - and I wish to God I did not know about this-

Myxi in an unvaccinated rabbit or a rabbit whose vaccinations are lapsed is impossible. The diesese is merciless and causes so much pain and distress the suffering is awful to watch - pts is kinder.

A fully vaccinated rabbit has a chance of survival but even critical rabbit care does not quarentee a bun will make it.

I spent day and night nursing my lovely buns Maxi and Tilly. Maxi survived with critical rabbit care and twice daily trips to the vets for three days when he began to have fits. He was so ill and critical care was by then causing him so much distress he was pts to stop the suffering. He was blinded and we suspected he had lost his hearing, the myxi was erupting all over his poor little body. Maxi' had gained no immunity. :cry:

Tilly had some immunity but struggled for two weeks I thought she would make it but she was grieving so much for maxi that the myxi just went ballistic overwelmed her poor immune system. She was so poorly I asked for her to be PTS as she was deteriating as I watched.
Only Teasel survived but she had two weeks of being so poorly I thought she was going to get full blown myxi too.

I would not wish nursing a bun with myxi on anyone.
It is even worse when you care about your buns enough to pay for regular vaccines and vet care and find your up against this horrible horrible illness.

If you do catch this poor little rabbit please keep it in quarentine from your own buns- even vaccinated rabbits can catch myxi- and get it to a vet ASAP.

Back