• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

two dwarf sisters

dillydally

New Kit
Hi there

I've had two dwarf lop doe bunnies for about a month now - lola and renee.

Lola is quite obviously the dominant one, and renee is much more timid, however renee has been letting me pick her up and have cuddles, yet lola still refuses to be picked up - lots of thumping, struggling, running away!

I transfer lola to the run in a little box and give them plenty of fresh grass and dandelion when they're in there and chat to them, but still she is headstrong and not having any of it!

I'm a bit concerned because if I pick up renee for a quick cuddle/check over and then put her back in the hutch, lola starts nipping renee's bottom and chasing her around...!!

I know it takes a long time to bond but just wanted some tips on how to get lola on side...!

Thank you :)

I should add to this that they are bonded - usually grooming each other/cuddling etc...so wondering where this nipping is coming from...

Hi! May be wrong - but sound slike abit of spring fever is on the air! lol!:lol:
I have the same problem - 2 dwarflops sisters - who are about 3 months old now...one submissive & the other more dominant--- who also struggles when held...but she has ot be held at least every second day so that when the time arises I can check her nails, clip them & also make sure her bums ok - incase of flystrike etc. Most buns dont want to be held - its working out the best way for each bun so they feel safe. - all four paws on your lap sometimes helps.

Mine are nipping too - well the dominant one...she somtimes even pulls abit of fur out too!:shock: I make sure that they dont hurt each other & sometimes even thump the flor abit! lol! Not sure - but have gathered its spring & they get all hormonal & apparently even if they are sisters - sisters are the hardest to keep as friends! BUT Im sure they weill be fine - lots of handlong each day alittle at atime - you will get thumped at - but its a trust thing....my dominant one hops away when I try pick her up - but I stroker her - talk softly & reassure her & eventually she gives in to me picking her up - whatever oyu do dont try grab them!:shock:

Hopefull more will comment as Im presuming all this form what Ive read.....keep us updated...esp. since Im the same as you! :lol:

How old are yours? xxxx

ahh thank you for your help! i will keep persevering!

they are about 14 weeks now, but getting bigger every day...! I will keep you posted....

xx

:lol::lol: they do grow so fast! :)
Bless them!
Its funny how they have such different characters......and like oyu say lick each other, flop together & othertimes chase each other about npping ! I guess its all about growing up & working out the hierachy! As long as they re not actually fighting (which ive not seen before!) but am sure you would be able to know if that did happen!

Guess we just have young-uns becoming teens!:shock::lol::roll: oooooh are we i for a ride! :lol::lol::lol:

Keep me posted on how they get on - Im sure we can learn alot from each others experiences! :love:

Hello:wave: I am also experencing this with my boy and girl, and they are speyed, so I would think it has got a lot to do with the weather:roll:

Are they speyed? because hormones can have a lot to with behavior changes?

Some buns just don't like being picked up unfortunatley:cry: My girlie Bobby beats me up if I hold on to her for too long, where as carlo will sniggle in my arms.

Have you tried wrapping her in a towel to check bums and stuff?? just not for too long as buns can over heat really easily:)

Back