• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flowers

weedug

Mama Doe
What flowers could I grow, from seed, for my buns? I have some Nasturtiums already.

Last edited:
Calendula/marigold (not french - diff. species)
Chamomile
Nepeta
Fennel and other herbs all grow well from seed if you have the patience and all have lovely flowers in summer.
Mallow
I think wild geranium (diff to pelargonium) are fine.
Strawberries!
You could also get some jerusalem artichoke roots - buns love the leaves and they grow quickly and very tall!
Not from seed but my buns love roses - as long as you don't spray them.
Some say pansies but i'm not sure on that one. As a rule - what we can eat so can they. :wave:

ETA Wonder if you can grow Echinacea from seed? Lovely purple flowers safe for bunnies. I just bought a plant instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for these!

Do they eat any roses? And is it just the flowers? And for sunflowers, is that just the flowers?

Last edited:
nasturtium are prolific and very easy to grow from seed or buy as seedling, both you and your buns can enjoy the flowers and leaves to eat, leaves are slightly peppery, my buns love the flowers.

beware though often grown as sacrifical plants next to veg as black and green fly like them

ETA Wonder if you can grow Echinacea from seed? Lovely purple flowers safe for bunnies. I just bought a plant instead.

You can but its a very slow grower, i have a plant i bought got only 3 flowers in first year, it dies off in winter needs to be protected in freezeing months but does come back :D

beware though often grown as sacrifical plants next to veg as black and green fly like them

Yes we can't grow them here due to mass aphid infestation every time we try :cry: City living = very little in the way of natural predators as everyone sprays their gardens and there are few birds and lacewings/ladybirds around.
Haven't done too badly with normal marigolds though as long as space them out. Pick one head at a time - marigold will flower a new head. Buns love the flowers of marigolds! Can't imagine how.... they smell and taste SO bitter! :lol:

Yes all roses are fine I think. We have a large white climbing rose which the buns love the petals from when they drop. Apple blossom is another favourite - my little hoover bunny can de-petal the lawn in no time! :roll::lol:

Guess where my roses will be going this year :lol:.

I gave my 3 apple blossom on the twigs last week, and Honey and Mr Bubble looked at me as if I was daft :lol:. Faithy loved it though.

Last edited:
Back