• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi

I am in the process of adopting a special case from the RSPCA and decided to join here in the hope I can get some ideas on helping this new bun to settle in.

The RSPCA were willing to consider me as this will be my sixth rescue rabbit but first special case.

To date I have cared for.
Daisy- daughter bought her home as a baby bun but she had gastric stasis and after four days critical rabbit care at the vets when they thought she was going to make it she had a fit and died in the vets hands
Alice - german lop ; severe behavioral issues would NOT eat any roughage no matter what was used and had an ability to spit out and hide the special high fibre rescue rabbit pellets from the vet. She needed daily bum baths for 12 months but in the end she became so morase and her skin so thin and prone to tear needing stitches. In the end after discussion with the vet she was put down.

Toffee - french lop / giant papillion male. HUGE rabbit that breeder asked if I would have as she could not find anyone willing to have such a big lad. He ate my house, scared next doors dog and used to chase the neighbours cat every morning when I let him out for a run. He lived in a shed with a dog basket with a five foot high run.
He died from a heart attack doing what he loved best- chasing next doors cat up our large garden.

Tilly - rex with a slightly malformed head so needed lots of dental checks. Sadly died during the myxi outbreak even though she had been vaccinated.
Maxi - Heinz 57 could never work out what he was- turned up one morning outside Tillys run. Turned out to be so placid as he had cataracts and could not see danger. His previous owner fed him all the wrong food and admitted she was unable to care for him so we had him. He bonded with Tilly but also died after he was put down following a severe case of Myxi'.

Teasel- Netherland Dwarf/mini lionhead - bit the child who she was bought for, bit the mum paired with Tilly but fell out in a fercious fight two years later. So much for spaying! Paired with Toffee, he would sit on her if she tried to bite him. Teasel even after seven years care is feisty with her teeth but will allow me to pick her up although my vet is always careful around her. Sadly whilst she has the lionhead looks she does have the worst bits of the old Netherland temeperament. I gave up trying to find her another rabbit to bond after three years. She does seem happier outside in a big run with lots of toys and one person handling her. She lives in a two storey hutch with an eight by eight run near the house so I can keep an eye on what she is up to. In the evening she sleeps in a large indoor rabbit cage. [We have foxes and sparrow hawks living in our garden]

Fred - english crossbreed. Had him when he was seven from a family who had to move and were struggling to care for him. Gave him a better diet, had his claws well trimmed and he lived happily as our house bun. He died last week having hit the venerable age of 13 years and seven months.

We decided that when Fred died we would look for another rescue rabbit and see if they could fit in with our home.

I am hoping to be able to bring the new bun home soon but I am struggling to find a good solid hutch to use in the new run my husband is building for her. Here seemed like a good place to ask about hutches for day shelter in outdoor runs.

Hello & welcome :wave:

Wow you've had some very interesting buns and some amazing stories!

Re. hutches - where abouts are you?

Hi, welcome to RU :wave:
Love the sound of Toffee bunny chasing the cat :lol: what lucky buns they all are to have had you care for them.
I can't give advice on hutches as mine have been handmade by the OH but I'm sure they're'll be loads of people able to point you int he right direction.

Yayyyyyyyyy...

I have been approved. Tomorrow I can collect Doodee from Birmingham RSPCA and bring her home. She does have a habit of biting anyone who gets too close but I do not mind spending time letting her get to know me at her speed.

I am still building a fox proof and sparrow hawk resistant large run for her. I still need to work out if she would prefer a single or double hutch to shelter outside in but the house is ready. The small animal team decided she needed someone who could give her one to one that it was better to let her come to us than wait till we have built a secure run. Hoping that a 5 foot high by 8 by 8 will let her let off some steam when its finished.
I will buy her some toys, her pref' food as mine all scoff Science pellets and lots of good hay, fresh apple, pear and willow twigs.

I do have a strong travel box that I can secure using the car seat belt.

[And if I was not having to wait for the hire car to be collected now mine has been returned I would be driving to the RSPCA to pick her up right now!]

I managed to drive over in time and collect her today.
:love:

Just spent half an hour watching Doodee check the accomodation over. Poor thing was terrified driving back in a carry case in Brums traffic. She has had a nose in the hay and spotted the huge litter tray I had bought. She collapsed in it and stretched out with that 'mine' look but she is still looking nervy so I have left her in peace to look round when she is ready. I have a dark cover I use for nervous rabbits that I will place over on en of the cage so she can feel a little safer.

The RSPCA let me have her litter tray and toys so I could put something that smelt of Doodee in the indoor cage. I have left some slices of carrot hidden for her to find as that seems to be her bribe of choice.

She is truly a lovely bun who needs one to one and a quite space of her own. She was never happy hearing the dogs barking in the neighbouring kennels.

Early days but she is now in her new indoor home and has the run of the lounge from 6am till 12pm.

Back