• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reinfourcing our NIC house

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok, hubby is in a strop and hates anything to do with wood work. :lol: So I thought I would ask the experts!
At the moment we have a set up of 4 squares in length (14 inch each) and 2 squares in height.
We have noticed the middle seems to sag a bit and would like to change our doors by making them go right to the top as at the moment we only have two of the bottom squares as door which is proving difficult when I need to really get in there to clean :lol:
so... any suggestions on how to reinfource the top and also pictures of how you guys have done your door would be great!!

We have a wooden surround at one end. We put it in more as a shield as they used to wee on their shelf but they don't anymore. It's not really structural.

As for support we have a wooden base with two bits of wood coming up that go either side of the door.

Photo0204-vi.jpg

Photo0225-vi.jpg

_IGP6272_CONV-vi.jpg

The door itself is wood with two panels in it. One had to be cut down. The base has wood edging which probably helps keep it more stable.

Thank you so much, we have finally finished now and think it looks really good, even got a little top floor for him too :D
We have not put a ramp in though do you think it is needed or not? Jims can jump very high! We have put his hay bungalow in for him so he can jump from there on to the top floor if he would like to do you think that is enough?

We put a ramp in when we had our trio of Mischa, Mini and Nutmeg in there because Mischa is a little unsteady on his feet sometimes. He could jump up there with a little difficulty but didn't because it scared him so we added the ramp for him. I still have it in there even though the two that are in there now, Nutmeg and Smudge, can jump up there no problem, as I like to encourage them to sleep up there as it's more snug, not that they do :roll:

:lol: They do not do as they are told do they?!
I put Jimbys hay bungalow as a stepping stone as he was not jumping up there, even though he could do no problem, but the hay bungalow is a little wobbly so I am worried that he may take a little tumble whilst jumping on or off it so I being the worried bunny mummy that I am have gone and got a little childrens plastic step that I am going to some how screw to the bottom of the cage... :roll:

The ramp was really easy to make to be honest. If you have some old wood lying around you could probably do one pretty easy. It's just a long thin bit then a small bit at the bottom to make the angle less steep and some batons on for grip. I got Dad to drill some holes at the top and just attached it to the shelf with cable ties. The shelf is reinforced with a bit of wood underneath though so it might be too heavy for a NIC shelf without any reinforcing.

Back