• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cherry eye?

coz

Young Bun
Hi, I had to take Snowy to the vets to have her spurs done on her back teeth, also before I put her in the carry cage to take her, I noticed a red lump on her eye (near the corner nearest her nose, left eye) They said that it could be cherry eye or that her tear ducts were blocked and they would investigate further once she was under for the teeth work.

Anyway, they said whe I picked her up that it was due to trauma to the eye and gave me some cream to put in her eye twice a day. Since then the area looked swollen and creamy white discharge coming out. Her third eyelid also looks like it is covering her eye so much so that I dont think she can see out of it now :(

I took her to the vets yesterday, same vets different branch, for a free health check (rabbit awareness week) and they have said it is looking bad and that the area is swollen and that fluid could be building up behind the eye and made me an appt for today at the branch who saw her originally.

I havent got any photos to put on but wanted to see if any of you lovely bunny owners might have a different explanation for it!

After her op on friday, she did go off her food and I had to get some recovery food for her Saturday. I am now mushing up her pellets and adding to water and syringe feeding her as she has lost alot of weight :(

Any comments welcome :)

Thank you

It could be elongated tooth roots that have blocked the nasolacrimal duct and now an abscess has formed

Has she had skull radiographs to assess tooth roots?

Does she have daily pain relief at the moment? If she's in pain (from the abscess/infection/etr) she wont want to eat.

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

She has had to go in for an op today to have her eye removed :( :( Poor bun :( They had a look yesterday and they have said its either an absess or could be cancer :( There is no guarantee that by removing it, it wont reoccur.

She had pain relief on Monday and yesterday at the vets. As the swelling wasnt there Friday, they didnt give me any pain killers, its just all of a sudden appeared :(

She is eating pellets herself but not as much as I would like so am still providing her with softer pellets.

Am not sure if they have looked at the roots :? but have asked them today (save her going through anymore GA's) if they can remove the back teeth as I have read they can cope without them.

Just hoping and praying that she pulls through ok x

Hi,

Just wanted to say that Snowy came home last night. She came round from the GA well and they said the op went really well although there was alot of infection there :( They cant be sure if it was an absess or cancer unless the eye is sent to the lab for testing. They also had to take out 2 of her back teeth.

There is no guarantee that it wont come back although we are hoping and praying that it doesnt come back xx

Shes indoors at the moment as the vets dont want anything to happen and she isnt allowed to be with Mopsy either :( We have let them say hello to each other so they know all is ok xx

Aww, I'm so sorry it must be so hard :( glad she's recovering well though, I hope hope hope it doesn't come back! Poor baby is probably confused but happy shes pain free :)

keep us updated with her progress please so we know she's okay :love:

Hi :) :wave:

We have had to go back to vets virtually everyday since! Had a rest over the weekend and back again tonight.

They took her off painkillers and she doesnt flinch when you touch the wound, she is on anti biotics which she hates! The area is still quite swollen and doesnt look like it is going down.

Still not on her hard pellets but she will eat on her own (soft mushed pellets) we also gave her mushed carrots to get a diff flavour and vits in her.

Other than that she is doing well, she keeps tilting her head to the left now though, will see what vets say tonight.

Thank you all for your kind words :) :)

Hi, sorry to hear about Snowy's illness. It's a worrying time when you've had to put your bun through an op and then keep taking them back to the vets.

Just to reassure you re the swelling - my bun Mr Bingley recently had his eye removed due to an accident and it took three weeks for his wound to completley heal and stop discharging as there was still some infection in it. Also I think the stitches were irritating the wound as as soon as he had them out (which was about 2 weeks after the op) it started healing up nicely and he no longer got any discharge down his nose- we're near the end of his course of anti-biotics now (thank goodness as no more trying to syringe him :lol: ) and we're hoping that his next vsiti to the vets (of which there have been many) will be the last one for a while (other than his regualr dental visits)

Hope Snowy feeling better soon.

Tammy x

Hi :) Thanks for your kind words :)

Tammy - Thanks for the re-assurance. I'm sorry Mr Bingley has had to go through it too :( Glad he is all better now :)

Snowy got 'discharged' from the vets last Thursday, the muck had stopped coming out of her nose during that day as she was very clean around her face. When we got her home though there was creamy discharge coming from the wound as it was only a small amount and it stopped we left it at that. She has since been but back with her other half, Mopsy, who has been very good with her and has been encouraging her to eat (still on soft food) When we got home yesterday from work, there was lots of creamy discharge coming from her wound and quite smelly :( :( When you touched the swollen area the pus was coming out freely :( Phoned the vet who said that it doesnt look as though its going to get better and whatever it was seems to have come back. We took her in and asked if there was any chance of having another op as she, in herself, has been quite bright and is drinking and eating on her own, mouching around the garden and on this reason we didnt really want to have her pts. He agreed to have another look but chances really are only around 25%. So she is back in again today so am just praying and hoping she pulls through and we get rid of whatever it was.

Awww poor bun and poor you :(
If its smelly like you mention it sounds like an abcess which can be very stubborn in buns :evil: If it is hopefully they can drain it,wash it out and maybe pack it? Im not a vet though this is just a thought.
Sending loads of viibes for ur lovely boy. Xxx

Hi Coz,

Loads of vibes for Snowy's eye - really hope she make a good recovery. Abscesses in bunny's are notoriously (sp) hard to treat and Baytril can sometimes not be enough to treat them as they have very thick walls which it has trouble penetrating. I can;t remember the name of the anti-biotic which can be injected (hope someone on here reads this and can let you know what it's called) and they may try that with Snowy - it was what they were going to try with Mr Bingley if the Baytril didn't work and then after if the injections didn't work they were going to re-open, clean out and repack in an effort to halt the infection.

Ask your vet about anti-biotic injections to see if they would recommend it or if the infection has too strong a hold, as you say they may go for the repacking option. If it's injections you have to go to the vet every day but I reckon it'd be worth a try to save Snowy another GA.

It's good to hear she's feeling well in herself and mooching about

Again, loads of vibes - I;m off on hol tomorrow am but will be straight back on here on Sat when back to catch up on progress, all fingers n toes crossed

Tammy x

Thank you all for your kind words :)

Tammy - We have been using Baytril and last week when we went they did say there was a stronger anti biotic to use but not licenced for use in bunnies.

The vet called me yesterday and told be that the infection was very severe :( He said that he could clean it out and stitch her back up again but as it was severe, it would only come back again :( The kindest (but hardest) thing to do was to let her sleep :cry: :cry: She was under anastetic (sp) at the time so didnt know any different. She had a very good life (she had just turned 3 last month :( ) She now is resting at peace and has her own little special garden. She was loved very much by us all and especially Mopsy :(

I'm so sorry for your loss Coz :(
You did everything you could for her and it sounds like she has a beautiful resting place.
Sleep tight Snowy

Tammy x

Back