• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding fight - how long to wait to try again

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Hi there, I have just got a gorgeous new rescue bun girlfriend for my Max who lost his previous girlfriend at Christmas time, I did hope that I was going to get it easy as they seemed to be indifferent at first sight at the rescue in the run there and on the travel home they were nice and snuggled in the carrier but my dreams of love at first sight went quickly out the window when 5 minutes in the run at home turned into a fur flying fight! They are now living facing each other for now in seperate hutches can anybody with experience tell me when I should give it another go this happened on Saturday. I have now got a smaller run that neither of them has been in to put in a nutural area but I'm not sure if I need to leave them to forget about their fight for a bit and keep to the facing hutches and seeing each other for maybe a week what do you reckon?? I am then going to try them supervised for a short time every day to see how this goes does this sound OK to?

Thanks for all advise it is greatly appreciated :)

OK I have had a read back over old posts about this and think I am going to try this keep hutches facing each other, swap hutches every day until the weekend to get them used to each others scent and then set up the new smaller pen in a neutral part of the garden at the weekend and sit and watch! Does anyone have any thoughts on this does it sound like a good plan...is it a good idea to do it for short periods a day building up?

I am not an experienced bonder but like you have read lots of old posts having had a failed bond myself.
Lots of people seem to recommend the putting them together in a small neutral space and then toughing it out rather than the putting them together for short periods as feel the rabbits have to start again each time if they are seperated.
They also suggest doing it indoors rather than outside as you are likely to have to observe them continuously for more than a day.
I expect someone with experience will be along soon to advise.
Good luck
Nicky

Hiya,

If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll e-mail you some info. Paul and I have done many bondings including a group if 3, 4 and 6 so, hopefully, we will be able to offer you some useful advice :)

Erin. x

Hiya,

If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll e-mail you some info. Paul and I have done many bondings including a group if 3, 4 and 6 so, hopefully, we will be able to offer you some useful advice :)

Erin. x

Aw thats a great offer thank you I have PM'd you

I am not an experienced bonder but like you have read lots of old posts having had a failed bond myself.
Lots of people seem to recommend the putting them together in a small neutral space and then toughing it out rather than the putting them together for short periods as feel the rabbits have to start again each time if they are seperated.
They also suggest doing it indoors rather than outside as you are likely to have to observe them continuously for more than a day.
I expect someone with experience will be along soon to advise.
Good luck
Nicky

Thanks Nicky that sounds sensible I can't wait to get them together !

Back