• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

intestinal blockage - after surgery care and getting him to eat

jay

Mama Doe
My bunny, Jack, had a op to remove an intestinal blockage yesterday. He is home this evening but not eating. I'm not sure how to get him eating. The vets said he had nibbled some dandelion leaves but he hasn't had anything since I got home. He's staying at the vets over the weekend (as I am away) so I guess they can syringe feed him again but I really want to get him eating. Any suggestions?

Oh dear poor Bunny :cry:

Has he passed any faeces since the op ?

Have you been given medication for him, especially pain relief and antibiotics ?

You will need to syringe feed him, little and often, if he isnt eating. He should also be receiving fluid therapy (subcutaneous). Keeping the gut contents well hydrated is essential. Giving SQ fluids reduces the absorption of water from the guts.

intestinal blockage

Maybe try a little apple, banana, dried fruit , obviously the wee animal is stressed and make take a little time, he might eat himself when he realises he is home and safe, failing that you can get a sachet from the vet i think called something like 'rescue' which you can syringe feed yourself (they will give you a syringe if you ask) just a regular dribble should help with him basic nutrients and poss restart the gut working and the appetite.

You could try 'mushy pellets', just water them down with cooled boiled water then fluff them up with a folk- Jims turns his nose up at this but it may be worth a try. Plus if you do not have any recovery food atm it will be a decent replacement.

Also try some herbs- Basil, Mint, Parsley.

Get lots of different herbs, spring cabbage, carrot tops, grated carrot and try to tempt him. I find mine start eating stronget smelling things when recovering e.g. thyme

I'm glad he came through surgery OK, sending him lots of eating and pooping vibes.

hows jack? i find herbs like basil and parsley work really well, you can tear the basil leaves which gives them a stronger smell. ive heard of people try hipps baby food, if you smear abit on some mushy pellets it might get him going, baileys always turned her nose up at it though...
i find another handy trick to do when there off food/water is dip the basil leaves etc.. in water first that way there taking in that little bit more fluid.
if you can aswell burgess exell do bags of dried herbs, the country garden herbs are good as there full of dandilion leaves etc.. and smell really strong.
Hope this helped x

Back