• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two brothers and a sister

kelly kat

New Kit
Ive got three rabbits, two male and one female, they live happily together at the moment. They are eight weeks old, ive spoken to two different vets for prices on neuter and spey both about the same price. But the one vet said that i can keep all three together once neutered/speyed and i wont have any trouble as they are bonded.Yet the other vet has said i should separate all three and then rebond them after they have been done? i want to keep them all together and am now worried about what i should do, personally i think splitting them up now would cause me more problems trying to rebond them? anyone had similar experience? i would be grateful for any advice.:)

Hi, if you could have them all neutered at the same time it would be possible to keep them together throughout but the boys can be done from about 12 weeks or when their "bits" appear and the girls not until 5 or 6 months. The boys could still be fertile for 6 weeks or so after their neuter (amazing but true) so this is where the problem lies.

I had to split mine up to rebond. Some can rebond, some won't always rebond.

At what age will your vets spay and neuter?

As others have said, your problem comes because they will need to be done at different times, your boys at 3 months or so and your doe later. It might be an idea to keep them together until the boys go in and then keep them separate but within sight and smell of your doe, perhaps with adjoining living quarters. That way when it comes to rebonding it may be easier for you.

Thanks for all the replies,The vet has said the boys can be neutered at 4months so ive got them booked in already. The female had to be 6 months, but as i said in my earlier post the one vet which said they could live together thinks that having the males neutered and then the female speyed at a later date would be fine. And in the mean time can live together. Although ive been reading different things and with the other vets comments im abit worried. I dont think i could rehome one if they wouldnt bond ive hand reared all three.

The female had to be 6 months, but as i said in my earlier post the one vet which said they could live together thinks that having the males neutered and then the female speyed at a later date would be fine. And in the mean time can live together.

I have an unspayed girl (too young) with a neutered male so it is possible but they problem with your situation is that when you neuter a rabbit the result isn't immediate, ie the two boys can be fertile for up to six weeks afterwards, so if you kept them together during this period you are risking her falling pregnant.

yes i see the problem, il have to put her in an indoor cage inside their hutch, its a huge hutch they are in with run underneath and infront so that wont be any problem, im keeping my fingers crossed they wont fight before the neuter. so far so good, il keep everyone posted. thanks for help:)

Back