• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please

Lindt bunny

Warren Scout
I did a private rescue a few weeks ago and everything has been going well. This was Shadow when I met her
protter
[/URL][/IMG]
and this is her after she had settled in with me
protter
[/URL][/IMG]

Shadow has looked so much better in the last few weeks but last Tuesday she started pulling fur (by the mouthful) but I thought that maybe she was being hormonal as she is unspayed (but booked in for Friday) because the weather had cheered up but it did cross my mind that she could have been pregnant as she had been inadequately cared for but I have had her since 15th March.

Anyway, I went away with my children for a few days and my husband has been feeding my rabbits and checking them morning, lunch and evening around work (they have free run in a bunny aviary but this new rabbit is in quarantine away from the other two but still has access to a run 24/7) and although there was more fur in the hutch sleeping compartment again Friday (he sent me a photo) there were no babies evident. However, when I came home tonight there was the same amount of fur and still no babies (which I was relieved about and thought it really must be spring fever) but then i hovered my hand about an inch over the furred area and there was a hot spot of heat. So I petted Shadow (my rabbit) who was in the run eating brocoli and rummaged my hand in her bedding material (just in case and not near the hot spot area) and gently removed a bit of fur and bedding and there were babies underneath :shock: They were squeeking and moving about and there are 5 :shock:. They are all healthy with round tummies and look to me about 5 days old as a very fine beginning growth of fur.
protter
[/URL][/IMG]

My husband cant believe it and thought I was joking when I told him until I showed him the video and pictures on my iphone!!

Shadow doesn't really have a nest box (as I did not know she was pregnant) but I noticed that as I had cat liter trays in the main hutch area, run and sleeping area it looks like she has dug an area in that and made her nest then covered them loosely up. So is a liter tray adequate or does it need to be deeper??

My other two bunnies are spayed and neutured and I never intended to have this experience so any advice would be good.

Thanks for sticking with me through this long post.

Hi, what a surprise! It sounds like mum is doing a good job.

If you are concerned that the sides of the litter tray aren't deep enough to stop the babies falling out you could carefully lift the whole tray up and place it in a higher sides cardboard box - you can usually get them in every shape and size if you keep an eye out in the supermarket.

I agree with the above post and well done for doing such a great job with them. Remember to reschedule the spay!

Hi, what a surprise! It sounds like mum is doing a good job.

If you are concerned that the sides of the litter tray aren't deep enough to stop the babies falling out you could carefully lift the whole tray up and place it in a higher sides cardboard box - you can usually get them in every shape and size if you keep an eye out in the supermarket.

Brilliant advice ... thanks :)

Yes, I am really proud of her actually. She has only been with me since the third week in March and I know that this is the last thing I wanted but like my hubby said its happened now so best get on with it. She seems a good Mum and considering its her first (and only) litter she is really caring for them well.

I will find a box or make one (as I have lots of other sized boxes around to adapt) and lift the liter tray into it.

Thanks

Yes, definately ... when is best? or will they (the Vets) advise?

I'd say it would be best to wait at least 8 weeks when the kits are ready to leave mum but someone will be able to advise who is much more knowledgeable I'm sure. Are you going to keep them? You could have a huge group :D

I'd say it would be best to wait at least 8 weeks when the kits are ready to leave mum but someone will be able to advise who is much more knowledgeable I'm sure. Are you going to keep them? You could have a huge group :D

Well, we had just bought another bunny shed and stuff to make another bunny aviary and were planning on having another rescue bun or two to keep separate or bond with shadow or bond shadow with Jimmy and Sooty who are already bonded and were part of an original trio (we lost Dora last year :().
So I could keep Shadow and her babies or at least some and maybe bond one of the babies with Jimmy and Sooty but I am all a bit dizzy with the shock to know what will happen but hubby will just put the new shed and aviary up and we will have to see.

I don't want to put these babies in rescue and add to the problems as I was asked to foster for them originally which is how I ended up with shadow :love: but then decided to have her.

We had Hattie spayed when her babies were 8 weeks old.. but we ended up putting her back with them anyway, she still lives with her daughter :)

I hope mum and babies continue to do well. And you could always advertise the babies on here when they are old enough to be rehomed.
At least that way you can keep updated on their lives :)

Best of luck

Back