• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long can you leave bun in run?

Ladygarden

Young Bun
Hello,

Now I'm probably going to sound like a mad physcho bun mum now, but I've got a free range house bun, and as the weather is so lovely today I put his run together, it's massive, 7ft by 5ft and 3ft tall and he's loving it!

I've put one of his cages in there, food, hay, water, toys and is in part shade part sun, so don't think he could have much else....... He's been out there for an hour now and just wondered if I could leave him out there for a good few hours?

Yep, told you, over protective Mummy!

I've also got to pop out for an hour in a minute, is it safe to leave him out? Basically he can't get out and nothing will get in as it's all metal bars and staked to the floor.

Thank you :lol:

As far as I'm aware one thing you have to be careful of is not letting buns not used to having grass getting too much of it first time out as this can make them very poorly :(

I know that with guinea pigs you have to slowly increase the amount of grass time. Too much at once can cause tummy issues - gas etc. Not sure if the same applies to rabbits.

Thanks fluffers,

He has been munching the grass a fair bit, as well as digging!

:lol: Oh dear - hope you're not too precious about your garden! I think an hour is enough first time out. Do you have a patio area you could put the run on for a while?

slow build-up

Until your rabbit is a hardened gardened bun, a slow build-up seems wise.

Ours love to be out from early morning until well after dusk, but they have a big space, a haybox and several under-bush shelters they've hollowed out themselves.

But grass is different to hay for bunny guts, and may take some adjusting to, and damp grass underfoot and breezy conditions will all affect an indoor bun more than an outdoor bun.

Take it slowly, and judge the ground and air conditions each time.

Good luck.

Thankfully he's still quite small so the digging isn't making too much of an impact at the moment. Just can't wait to get his bits seen too and get him a little girly friend :D

I've got a big decking area, but it's varnished and wouldn't want to risk him having a little nibble.

I'll bring him in for a little bit until his tum is used to all that grass. Poor me tonight, he's gonna be puffing like mad :lol:

Do you have some old carpet/lino or a big rug you could put down on the decking area? A lot of carpet places chuck out perfectly good ends of rolls - you see them in skips all the time around the back of the shops - might be worth having a look :)

Good idea, and yes I do have spare carpet in the garage, knew it would come in handy for something!

My neighbours are worried about me already, think they'll ring the loony bin when they see me carpeting my decking later :lol:

Thanks for all the advice, he's now indoors and sulking......

Good idea, and yes I do have spare carpet in the garage, knew it would come in handy for something!

My neighbours are worried about me already, think they'll ring the loony bin when they see me carpeting my decking later :lol:

Thanks for all the advice, he's now indoors and sulking......

That made me LOL :lol::lol: I will have the same problem soon. Inca is a free range house bun too and I am in the process of convincing my husband to make her a run for outside :D

Well the neighbours are looking out their windows puzzled so it's only a matter of time before there's a knock at the door. Eugh the spiders in that garage, honestly, I put my elbow length marigold on!

Blimey I wish my OH was good with those sort of things, he has trouble opening a door, bless! May invite the parents over for dinner now the weather is brightening up, my Dad always comes up with fab suggestions once he's had couple of red wines, and he's v creating. Sure I can get him to make me a outdoor bunny mansion :D:D

Ours live in a hutch, but spend several hours a day in the run. The only thing I would say is to make sure they have a hiding place or box.

Ours often run and binky about, but at other times just want to sit quietly in a tunnel or box. Even if it's just an open pet carrier, they need somewhere to hide if they feel a bit exposed or scared.

Back