• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay racks

briony_y

Young Bun
I'm having a bit of a dilemma about hayracks right now. I currently have four guineas and I have had so many different types of hayracks and none are suitable.

I started with those metal ones which kinda fold flat like these:

http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/boredom-breaker-hay-manger-hayrack-hay-rack.html

but my guineas pull them off and I'm scared of them closing and trapping their feet or heads or something, plus they are too small for bunnys as I have to refill them 4 times a day (i have one per two guineas) so guessing rabbits must eat more and that would just be impossible.

I bought these new ones and didn't realise how flimsy plastic they are:

http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/super-pet-hay-buffet-with-snap-shut-lid.html

Anyone I gave one to one set of pigs and after two weeks no problems. but then I gave to my other set and by next morning they had pulled if off, chewed one of the hooks off and a big chunk off another part :(

I'm too frighten to now give one to my bunnies and wondered if anyone had a better one and where they got it????

I don't know about the second type but I hate the first type. Hay gets everywhere. I got a wicker basket from The Hay Experts for my lions and they love it. I need to get another one for my lops. They attach on easy with just simple pegs, don't 'leak' hay and are too small for them to get in and wee in but big enough to put a good chunk of hay in.

I had a wicker hay basket for my pigs but they ate it within a week :)) I guess I have some very unruley pets :)) any more ideas anyone ??? :))

I have a group of 5 rabbits so needed something that would hold a substantial amount. So I use a garden basket (half moon shape) which is screwed into the wall of their shed and fill it with hay and also poke hay through all the holes. They can't pull it off thr wall but they can jump into it and on many an ocassion I have found at least one of them snuggled on top fast asleep!

http://s7d5.scene7.com/s7/zoom/flas...etConfigDefaults&zoomwidth=500&zoomheight=600

i have the same problem but they seem to like the ball type ones but those too run out really quick!

I had a wicker hay basket for my pigs but they ate it within a week :)) I guess I have some very unruley pets :)) any more ideas anyone ??? :))

:lol: My two are chewing it but not that quick :lol: Most of the time they are too distracted by the hay fortunately.

I have a group of 5 rabbits so needed something that would hold a substantial amount. So I use a garden basket (half moon shape) which is screwed into the wall of their shed and fill it with hay and also poke hay through all the holes. They can't pull it off thr wall but they can jump into it and on many an ocassion I have found at least one of them snuggled on top fast asleep!

http://s7d5.scene7.com/s7/zoom/flas...etConfigDefaults&zoomwidth=500&zoomheight=600

These are what I use too! :D

thanx guys but these too are plastic I guess if my new buns are not nibblers it will be ok for them but two of my pigs are terrible. I have had to confiscate their pigloos too as they started to chew them they now only have wooden / willow hideys that way when they eat them they are not harmful I just have to replace them quite often :rolleyes:

I've got a metal hay rack for the piggies and I cable tie it to the cage. If I don't they just pull it off. But I prefer it in a rack because they just poo all over it otherwise. The bunnies are much cleaner so I just give them a pile of hay rather than putting it in a rack - although they do have a rack over their litter trays which they use. That's cable tied on as well :roll:. I've also got a garden hanging basket/wall basket for Pea and Pod - again cable tied to the run. Works fine.

what kind of metal hay rack do you use is it one of those folding ones or have you found one that doesn't fold as that is what I would ideally want! Thanx again!

I use the IKEA bagholders attatched to the side of the hutch filled with hay, they work really well

Hi! Please *don't* use the wall planter-type ones - they are not safe for guinea pigs! I learnt this to my cost as my boys pulled it off and Tommy got his head stuck. :cry: xx

Fortunately we found them very quickly and we were able to free him and comfort him, poor piggy. It could have had tragic results. So please don't try to use this type!

I found (( This One )) on Zooplus - this is the one I would use for a hutch. :)

I have made one out of a bent Grid which works really well. I used some corrugated plastic for the sides. Totally safe, nice and big and works well for me. Here's some pics:

P1060011.jpg

P1050996.jpg

P1060039.jpg

Last edited:
that one is fab think i might try it for my pigs as I do have some grids although mine chew correx so might need to re-think the sides as I had to put plastic beading around the correx in my C&C

As for the buns I may try some of the other ideas, thanx guys!

Thanx for the link also (( This One ))

I have ordered a couple of those for my buns and will see about making something for the pigs as they are indoors!

Back