• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is a house bun a happy bun?

VixieHoney

New Kit
Hi everyone ive had a look through some of the other posts on here and cant quite find what im looking for. I have no garden at all (although my mum lives 5 minutes away and i can use her garden if bunny wants a play outside) and i wanted to know if its ok for bunny to be inside all the time? I live in a flat (a spacious ground floor flat) and would love a house bun to share with me :love:

I have an indoor bun in a ground floor flat, he has a large pen and free run of the flat when we are home, and he is as happy as larry! :D:love: Even if we had a garden I would still keep him inside, it's lovely being able to spend so much time with him, watching him just doing what he does :love:

Well, I would say yes....... based on the insane amount of binkies they do.... they get so much more interaction indoors, especially in the winter.

yep my 2 are indoors they have moved from in and out a couple of times, they deffo preffer it indoors and they are so much more loving for some reason, its nicer when its rainning or snowing not to have to run in and out to ffed and check there ok, and no fox worrys:D

oh thats great to hear :) I have plenty of space indoors so bunny have the run of the place (once ive bunny proofed it of course! :shock: )

Julie lives in the kitchen which is fully bunny proofed. The main part of the house is as bunny proofed as possible. She can hop around the main part of the house when we are home and up. Otherwise she is very happy in the kitchen. She does have a small cage just as a hide away and several other hide aways or areas that are just hers. Rabbits do like their own special places even if they are free ranged in the house. A small cage, box or bed just for them and the rabbit should be very happy.

Well, I hadn't seen my buns do more than the very occassional binky since they were about 1. They've been house bunnies this winter (they're 6 now) and I can't stop them binkying! :D There are some drawbacks to having a housebunny, but I think if your mum's happy to let them (please get them, rather than it!) mow her lawn for her, they'll be as happy as anybun. :D

i think my pair like lounging on a bed rather than a hard floor :lol::lol:

i like to think they are happy, i know that when i tried to let them outside Alvin would just hide under the sofa and refuse to go near the door after about 10 mins so i stopped trying to get them to go out.

well im going to contradict some of the posts adn say Some rabbits are suited as house bunnies others are not, for example, arthur my lop runs indoors up the stairs onto the bed and flops whenever he can he obviously loves being indoors when they were in durign teh cold he binkied all over my bed!!! LOL:lol::lol: then you have his partner dora who dislikes human contact(trust me iv tried she is tame jsut prefers bunnys) and will sti in the corner the whole time being grumpy she will mooch around but is unhappy inside, she loves grazing ad digging things that she jsut cant do inside, as soon as she was back outside she started binkying she loves it out there, then i have coco and kitty a tricky pair they lve being outdoors but are happy on your lap too however given the choice to run in and out the house they spend most of the time outdoors grazing and come in the house off and on. i think find a bun who loves being indoors and you have no issues find one who doesnt and you will have problems, also think about whether bun is destructive or not and wheteher you will give hiim/her a partner (ideally ge ta bodned pair) also think about bunny proofing your flat(by no meanas an easy task) and ensureing they do get daylight via windows and fresh air, also some bunnys are sensitive to central heating, and heat changes so make sure they can get away form the raidiators if they need/want to. i have seen some very happy house rabbits and i used to think (having always had outdoorsy types that bunnys didnt enjoy being indoors....then i minded a freinds house bunny who hated going out when i put her out she ran back in every time!!:lol::lol: i have since met many buns like this...my arthur included however he does enjoy the space adn the grass outdoors too . x

Womble and Pinky love being inside. Providing they have the space to get rid of some of their energy they are fine.

All Rabbits (like their pet humans) will have diff preferences to everything be it food, housing, tv programmes.

We have just put Womble and Pinky outside yesterday and today for the 1st time. They are absolutley loving it and flying around but they don't settle until they come inside so I am happy that they are happy.

oh thats great to hear :) I have plenty of space indoors so bunny have the run of the place (once ive bunny proofed it of course! :shock: )

Words of wisdom there! My house bun is very happy being inside, she has plenty of space and gets more attention than outside bunnies, and is spoilt rotten. She gets outside on her harness for a bit during the summer but isn't overly enthusiastic about it! :lol:

They are all different TBH!!

I've always had house buns but I have had buns who wanted to go out side, some which were indifferent and some which HATED it with a passion!!

Louie goes outside but will only do so for about 10 minutes maximum before he comes back in. When he is out he constantly runs back up the steps to make sure the back door is still open for him!

He does do more leaping about outside though probably because he can get up bigger speeds with no obstacles!

I've had 2 bunnies in the past though that hated indoors.

Mine live indoors, I do put them out in the pen if it's a nice summery day and we're at home (wouldn't put them out there without supervision, especially as Lily is a miner at heart and digs furiously from the minute she's put out there), but on the whole they don't seem all that keen on Outside. They like Inside, where there's a nice warm fire to flop in front of, and curtains to rip, and wallpaper to destroy ...:roll:

Back