• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Hutches.

Smooch

Banned
Hi...I've been through loads of threads but not found a picture of the RSPCA hutch. Does anyone have a link to a picture of one please? I'm looking for a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch to sit on top of my 6 x 6 run (with a hole cut in the bottom for a ramp). I've found a couple I like but I remember seeing a picture of the RSPCA one on here somewhere but I can't find it now. I was thinking of making my own but I'll check some out before I go that route as I'd get carried away and build them a two story mansion bigger than my own house. :lol: Can anyone help with the link? Please?

I have five of them all in different set ups. I have two where the bottom has been cut out (by me) to be able to put them on a run, and two with a hole out of the side to give access to a run and one as it is.

I'll go off to find you a photo of one.

Found a photo of one of mine. I like this one quite a lot as I haven't lost the space by putting the hole in the floor. I'd have to say I don't like the two that where I have cut the floor as the space remaining isn't great. And because it's board flooring the edges are quite rough.

Still, it's a good enough quality hutch for the money.

IMG_2302.jpg

Oooh Duchess I like that hutch - I'm going to have a look at the ones they sell at our local Animal Welfare Trust as I need a new one for my GP's.

Oooh Duchess I like that hutch - I'm going to have a look at the ones they sell at our local Animal Welfare Trust as I need a new one for my GP's.

Thanks. Just a bit of nice paint from Garden Shades tramsforms them. I have one that is going to be a piggie hutch in the summer. Nice amount of floor space.

Here's one where I cut the floor out and made a run under. It's okay but the buns loose some of their indoor space.

IMG_1209-1.jpg

Thanks. Just a bit of nice paint from Garden Shades tramsforms them. I have one that is going to be a piggie hutch in the summer. Nice amount of floor space.

You just Garden Shade on the outside do you? I guess it shouldn't be nibbled.

The girls have been living in a hutch and run combo but it's seen better days. As the rabbits failed to rebond they are living separately and taking turns in the aviary so they have hatched a plan to extend the smaller accomodation that the one who's not in the aviary uses (a chicken coop style home) which takes up the space usually occupied by the GP's in the summer so they have kindly suggested that the GP's have a single story home which will sit on the top of the coop! They are buttering up Dad to build their extension but he'll draw the line at building a whole new hutch - just doesn't have the time.

Excellent! Thank you so much for that. I could put it by the run but I think I'd rather it was off the ground as I only have a very small yard (and have a small boy and want to get a little dog) and thought that it would be warmer for them the further they were off the ground. It's for a pair of lionheads and they're pretty small so I don't think a little hole strategically placed would be too big a loss. I intend making the run very weatherproof and it's in a very sheltered area anyway, so I'm more bothered about them having room in the enclosed area so it should be ok.

They look pretty sturdy compared to some I have seen. Also, although they say that they're two foot deep they tend not to be. I was thinking of making a 3 foot wide one, but I'm keeping my options open. I'll ring the local RSPCA and see if they do them. Do you have to pick them up or can you pay to have them delivered? I'm assuming that they're flat packed?

The girls have been living in a hutch and run combo but it's seen better days. As the rabbits failed to rebond they are living separately and taking turns in the aviary so they have hatched a plan to extend the smaller accomodation that the one who's not in the aviary uses (a chicken coop style home) which takes up the space usually occupied by the GP's in the summer so they have kindly suggested that the GP's have a single story home which will sit on the top of the coop! They are buttering up Dad to build their extension but he'll draw the line at building a whole new hutch - just doesn't have the time.

In some of my accommodation I have only done the outside but I have used it inside too and had no ill effects from the tiniest amount of knawing.

Cuprinol are now advertising it for animal accommodation, guessing that haven't had too many horror stories if they are doing that.

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/buildings/animals/fun_rabbit_run.jsp

Excellent! Thank you so much for that. I could put it by the run but I think I'd rather it was off the ground as I only have a very small yard (and have a small boy and want to get a little dog) and thought that it would be warmer for them the further they were off the ground. It's for a pair of lionheads and they're pretty small so I don't think a little hole strategically placed would be too big a loss. I intend making the run very weatherproof and it's in a very sheltered area anyway, so I'm more bothered about them having room in the enclosed area so it should be ok.

They look pretty sturdy compared to some I have seen. Also, although they say that they're two foot deep they tend not to be. I was thinking of making a 3 foot wide one, but I'm keeping my options open. I'll ring the local RSPCA and see if they do them. Do you have to pick them up or can you pay to have them delivered? I'm assuming that they're flat packed?

None of mine were flat packed. They then started to do them flat packed but the supplier has now reverted back to fully assembled. Not sure why they thought that was a good idea:?

They are good value - not the most substantial but certainly will last if you treat them now and again. One of mine is now 4 years old.

None of mine were flat packed. They then started to do them flat packed but the supplier has now reverted back to fully assembled. Not sure why they thought that was a good idea:?

They are good value - not the most substantial but certainly will last if you treat them now and again. One of mine is now 4 years old.

So well worth looking into further then...thank you. If it needs any strenghtening I can deal with that, and I'll be able to get covers to fit so it should be ok. I'll give my local branch a ring and see if they can get me one.

My buns have been in the house in their run (and out of it when the monster's not around) so I'm sure they'll love getting some fresh air and excitement.

Thank you so much for your help.

So well worth looking into further then...thank you. If it needs any strenghtening I can deal with that, and I'll be able to get covers to fit so it should be ok. I'll give my local branch a ring and see if they can get me one.

My buns have been in the house in their run (and out of it when the monster's not around) so I'm sure they'll love getting some fresh air and excitement.

Thank you so much for your help.

Make sure you show us some pictures when it's done!

We like pictures for inspiration.:D

Theyre fab hutches for the money :) I have them for my foster bunnies, and 1 for my own buns which ive attached a run too. Theyre very well made, very heavy to move too!! Definately worth it :) xXx

Make sure you show us some pictures when it's done!

We like pictures for inspiration.:D

I certainly will. At the moment the run is in my dining room with a railway layout as the roof, lol. I have put a picture of it on here somewhere. I made the run myself and I'm still tempted to make the hutch myself, but these look more or less what I want so I'll see if I can get one.

wow

They look pretty good to me. Replacing worn out hutches is always a headache. Pet shop stuff is often pathetically made, and we end up reinforcing it. The fine mesh on some runs is certainly not fox-proof.

They look pretty good to me. Replacing worn out hutches is always a headache. Pet shop stuff is often pathetically made, and we end up reinforcing it. The fine mesh on some runs is certainly not fox-proof.

yep these are pretty good. Two criticisms would be - could do with a middle leg in the front to stop the middle from dropping slightly making the doors not fit brilliantly after a few years, and they don't come with bolts but just turn buttons. Apart from that I would recommend them.

I painted my shutters with Cuprinol too and the buns don't really nibble them.
condo2.jpg

Back