• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newcastle Bonding?

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
Hello,

Is there anyone or a shelter in the Newcastle area who is experienced and willing to bond my two girls for a fee or donation? I was going to attampt it myself but the few attmpts i've had have proved that it could take quite a while to form the bond. I work two jobs and cant commit to the full time observation required.

Anyone help please????

Hi!
I live in Ashington and get my rabbits from Northumberland Rabbit and Small Animal Rescue in Blyth. The rescue are home based but the woman I usually go to see is called Joanne- she is lovely and has offered to bond buns for me in the past. She has a large outdoor run which she uses and Im sure she would be happy to help. Would you like me to contact her for you and find out?

Chris

Since I had no reply I have two plans at the minute. The first one is my sister has very kindly said I can sit in her house all day saturday and she will help me while we try them there in a pen. If that doesn't work or I loose my nerve (which is the main issue i'm so blinkin soft! :oops: ) then there is a lady at Pawz for thought who has said I can go there for a day with the buns and she will advise me as to what is normal and whats really bad behaviour. Only trouble is if they dont bond that day she can't keep them with her for a few days to fully cement the bond as there is no room. Would your friend be able to keep them for a few days if necessary? If so I would be very happy to make a donation to her rescue.

Thank you Chris :)

Good luck with the bonding, whatever you decide to do! I'd be interested to see how your bonding goes as I have two girls too x

Bonding rabbits

If you put in a 'search' for 'rabbit bonding' there are one or two quite good sites with information on bonding, how to go about it what to look for etc, might be worth a read

Well the bonding is off! :cry:

Put them in a dog crate together with a divider in the middle the plan was to get them settled then remove it. I went out the room for a second!!! and when I came through Dex who is tiny had squeezed through the gap at the side and they were at each other straight away. They did the ususal chasing round and round and the clumps of fur were flying. Then Dex(more aggressive then Lilly) started lunging and biting. Lilly is not aggressive but in response was throwing Dex around the cage. Dex had enough and squeezed back in to the other part. Both were so tired and flopped. Realised that Lilly had a bitten/bleeding ear so I stopped it right there. Dex is now back in her garden home and Lilly is staying in as a house rabbit.

Gutted they can't be friend as through the bars they would lick each other and sniff in a nice way but they just wont selltle and wont have either one hurt so i'm not going to push it. Its such a distressing thing for them and me. Think Lilly could be bonded but I dont want anymore bunnies than two so she'll have to make do with my cats :lol: Dex is so highly strung and appart from me doesn't like anything or anyone. I know everyone says they should have company but she really does prefer to be alone. :roll:

Ahh thats such a shame, have your ladies been spayed? I can recommend a great vets in our area that did my girl Gypsy and it wasnt too pricey either. Being speyed calmed her right down and she was less highly strung making it easier to bond her.

Good luck whatever you decide x

Dex is not spayed and I'm not sure about Lilly. Lilly came from a pet shop rehoming her and I know nothing about her. Lilly is very calm and loving though so at a guess I'd say she was. Which vet do you use? I can get them done for £ 35.00 each but I dont really trust that particular vet. The other vet in my area is very good but they charge £ 70 plus VAT quite a hike in the price !

Gypsy was speyed last summer and it cost £40 including a 5 day stitch check. I use Robson and Prescott Vets they have surgeries in seaton deleval, morpeth, blyth, ashington and bedlington. This is their website www.vetcentremorpeth.co.uk

I know its not in Newcastle but they are really good, I got them recommended from NRSA rescue as thats who does all of their bunny speys.

Hope thats some help :D

It's virtally impossible to bond unspayed/unnuetered rabbit, the hormones cause too many problems. £70 doesn't sound too bad a price for a spay at a good vets, I payed around that for my girlies.

Back