• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
im not sure where to put this but as the tray is in his little house i thought i'd put it here :)

Sebastian's pretty good at pooping in the tray (only an occasionly stray poop) but he wees as far into the corner as possible which ends up with it going over the side :(

I had him on my bed the other day and he wee'd on the bed ( my fault he'd been out a while and didn't have his tray with him) so today i put the tray on my bed and he sat in it hopped around a bit then wee'd, over the side, DOWN my bed arggh! what can i do to sort this out?

Awww bless him!
Bunnies like to back up when they wee. Mine doesn't like getting his feet wet either.
You can get high sided trays so he can't shoot over the sides.;)

Awww,

You can get high sided trays which you could try?
or some people use underbed storage boxes minus the lids?

Last edited:
Yep a high sided litter tray is what you need - if he's small then one of the deeper ordinary cat ones would do. If he's bigger then one like this would be better:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=445&pf_id=6019

(I got mine off ebay.)

Another tip - rabbits like to back into a corner to wee but they also like to much and go... So I put hay at the FRONT of the (ordinary cat litter) tray so then they sit a little bit further forward to be able to reach it ;) Also lining the tray with newspaper helps as you can make the paper a bit deeper at the back so it's higher than the tray side.

i have a kitten litter tray as i didnt want him to have to struggle to get in (hes only weeny) he also likes to pull it out of the corner and i didnt want him to hurt himself! but am now thinking of getting a corner litter tray from pets@home a bit like the one you posted muppet
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/corner-litter-tray-15850
and then attaching it to the wire sides so he cant move it? or is that mean?

i have a kitten litter tray as i didnt want him to have to struggle to get in (hes only weeny) he also likes to pull it out of the corner and i didnt want him to hurt himself! but am now thinking of getting a corner litter tray from pets@home a bit like the one you posted muppet
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/corner-litter-tray-15850
and then attaching it to the wire sides so he cant move it? or is that mean?

Sounds ok to me, get the largest size they do, so it gives him plenty of room :wave:

what about a high sided tray and cut a hole in it, or make a bridge. tilly always used to over shoot but pets at home do a cheap and cheerful brightly coloured range, i got a large high sided tray in fushia! x

the biggest one is acctually huge! im not sure itd fit hmm although the small one is probably too small!! i might get a big one to put outside the cage just incase he gets caught out when he's playing, ill ask my mum to take me to pets@home later to have a looksie :)

I started off with that same corner one you've linked. I had it for Muppet who's pretty small (1.7kg/3lb) and he never really looked comfortable in it. I think it's too small. He's much happier in the ordinary cat tray sized one

If an ordinary one is too big, then the hi-bac I posted is your best bet - it's bigger than the corner one and smaller than a cat tray. And it has a low front for small buns getting in but high back so they can wee in safety :lol:

good luck with your quest:D i've tried all sizes and shapes for eric yet he still manages to wee over the sides:roll: his latest trick is to drag the tray out of the way and wee on the carpet. as soon as i cottoned on, i put layers of newspaper underneath. he is now shredding the paper - again. keeps him amused for ages:evil:

(i tried a high back pan like on the link, an enclosed cat one - the wuss wouldn't go in it as its like a carrier which usually means vets - and the storage boxes that aren't too high for him to wee over are either too high for him to get into or too wide to fit in the space i have:roll:)

ahah that sounds like sebastian :) i was cleaning him out but he refused to get out of the cage *sigggh* so i had to clean around him:roll: and he kept moving the litter tray even when i put it back to its normal place! sebastian loves the carry cage although hes only been to the vets once so it could change :p

Back