• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DIY vaccinations?!

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Hi y'all! :wave: It's me again!

Just a quick question - a work friend offered to get her Dad to vaccinate another work friends new rabbits for myxi and VHD the other day. He isn't a vet, he gets the vaccines sent over from France and does them himself.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the myxi jab needs to be injected half under the skin and half between the skin layers/into the ear vein (or something like that) to be effective... Anyone know?! Presumably only trained vets will be able to do this?

And is it dangerous to do both on the same day (I'm not sure if my friends dad does both on the same day but I just thought I'd ask so I can let her know just in case).

I've never heard of anyone vaccinating their own bunnies (and I'm sure it's not recommended) and it's got me a bit curious now. :?

How odd! I can't imagine that's legal! Apart from anything else, the VHD has to be done 2 weeks after the myxi jab. I'd stick with the vet if I were you, and advise your friend to do the same.

Hi this sounds really dodgy to me, I wouldn't recommend any sort of DIY veterinary treatment, vets train for a long time and do more than just inject the animal. It's important to check the health of the animal, amateur wannabe vets are just that - they are not qualified and the vaccines could well be 'bad' or expired stock. I wouldn't dream of allowing anyone to inject my animal other than a reputable vet. Here is some info regarding the vaccines but, please do not go down this road and infact advise them that what they are doing is highly dangerous and probably illegal.

Cylap was the only VHD vaccine available in the UK between 1997 and early 2007. It is made by Fort Dodge Animal Health and is widely used across Europe and Australia. Cylap can be given as a single dose from 10 weeks of age with a booster every year. In "high risk" situations (for example, a rescue centre in the middle of a VHD outbreak) rabbits can be vaccinated at a younger age, but a second dose will then be required four weeks later.

Lapinject, produced by CEVA Animal Health, became available in the UK in early 2007. It can be given as a single dose from 5 weeks of age with a booster dose every year. Onset of immunity (i.e. the time taken for the vaccine to protect the rabbit from attack by the VHD virus) is 6 days after vaccination.

Details for both of these vaccines can be found on their official data sheets, which the prescribing vet should consult. Cylap & Lapinject are oil-based vaccines, given subcutaneously (under the skin) and occasionally rabbits do develop inflammation at the site of injection. Both are licensed for use in pregnant females.

Just as in other animals, your vet should conduct a thorough health check before vaccinating your rabbit. This is very important because vaccines should only be given to healthy animals – if an animal is already ill or unwell, it may not respond properly to the vaccine.

Cunical, a water-based vaccine, was withdrawn from the UK market in 1997.

Where do I get vaccine from, and how many doses are in a vial?

By law, you can only obtain vaccines from your vet – they are Prescription Only Medicines (Veterinary). Both Cylap and Lapinject should be stored in a fridge.
Cylap is available in single-dose vials or in a 10-dose vial; Lapinject is available in 5-dose vials. Multi-dose vials have to be used within one working day, but usually work out more economical for breeders, rescue centres, and other people with lots of rabbits.

I wouldn't let anyone other than a vet or a trained animal care worker near my rabbits with a syringe. :oops: I'm sure there must be all sorts of things that could go wrong, plus I'd be worried that someone who doesn't really know what they're doing could injure my bunnies.

I'm sure my friend and her Dad are doing these injections with good intentions - I could just swear I read that myxi jabs need to be done in a special way or they don't work. :? I wanted to let my friend know if that was the case, as her bunnies will still be at risk of getting very ill. :shock:

I wouldn't let anyone other than a vet or a trained animal care worker near my rabbits with a syringe. :oops: I'm sure there must be all sorts of things that could go wrong, plus I'd be worried that someone who doesn't really know what they're doing could injure my bunnies.

I'm sure my friend and her Dad are doing these injections with good intentions - I could just swear I read that myxi jabs need to be done in a special way or they don't work. :? I wanted to let my friend know if that was the case, as her bunnies will still be at risk of getting very ill. :shock:

Yes they do I have put the bit your referring to in bold, 10% needs to be injected usually at the ear base but, not essentially this site as long as it is under the skin. This is in terms of VHD. This is another reason why it should be by a trained vet only and also the two vaccines should be at least two weeks apart. I find it really annoying that people think they are suitably qualified, veterinary nurses don't even do those injections to my knowledge without clear guidance from a vet.:?

Last edited:
:lol: Vicki, we posted at the same time! Thankyou for the extra information :)

No worries, tell them to stop doing it. It really isn't a good idea. If he wants to be a vet he needs to do at least 5 years training like the rest of them;)

:lol: Ok, I will do! I guess to someone who knows no better, giving vaccines must seem like an easy thing to do - the vets make it look really easy! I will let her know for sure :)

That sounds very dodgy to me! My vet says to leave 3 weeks between jabs. Thats his guide and I'm happy with it.

I know when I had my foster bunny, Justin, and he was poorly the rescue owner gave him the injections and he does the myxi ones too. Even when the vet was there the owner still did them. I felt Ok with that as the owner clearly knew what he was doing.

One of my vets did teach me to give antibiotic injections to my bunnies and cats but drew them up for me beforehand and I took the syringes back after to be disposed of properly. I am not good with needles but I got the hang of it very quickly as I know I would have to if one of my fur family developed diabetes. I think the myxi jab is much more difficult to do - my vet stops part way through and moves the needle slightly, whereas the antibiotic one was just put into the scruff of the neck.

It made sense at the time. The cat involved rarely came in and never when the vet was open so it meant I could grab her and give her the injection there and then. The vet checked I did it correctly before giving me the needles and it all went fine. Both the cat and bunnies I have injected seemed much less stressed with being in their home environment.

I have a different vet now and so far I have been able to take the animals in every other day for their antibiotics when needed.

Someone did tell me it was illegal for me to give an injection myself - but I didn't know that at the time :oops:

I know when I had my foster bunny, Justin, and he was poorly the rescue owner gave him the injections and he does the myxi ones too. Even when the vet was there the owner still did them. I felt Ok with that as the owner clearly knew what he was doing.

One of my vets did teach me to give antibiotic injections to my bunnies and cats but drew them up for me beforehand and I took the syringes back after to be disposed of properly. I am not good with needles but I got the hang of it very quickly as I know I would have to if one of my fur family developed diabetes. I think the myxi jab is much more difficult to do - my vet stops part way through and moves the needle slightly, whereas the antibiotic one was just put into the scruff of the neck.

It made sense at the time. The cat involved rarely came in and never when the vet was open so it meant I could grab her and give her the injection there and then. The vet checked I did it correctly before giving me the needles and it all went fine. Both the cat and bunnies I have injected seemed much less stressed with being in their home environment.

I have a different vet now and so far I have been able to take the animals in every other day for their antibiotics when needed.

Someone did tell me it was illegal for me to give an injection myself - but I didn't know that at the time :oops:

Not on the guidance and training and approval of your vet it's probably fine, buying vaccines from abroad and administering them to your own pets and other peoples is most definately not right though. A lot of rescues are probably allowed to do it aswell with guidance and instruction and approval of their vets. It has to be approved at least by the vet and buying the vaccine from abroad is very risky I think. Antibiotics prescribed by your vet and you administering on their advice is completely different.:)

I know that people can be given syringes and needles to inject their own bunnies with antibiotics - so long as they get them from the vet/a trained rescuer. It was suggested to me that I gave my bunnies Penicillin injections when they had syphillis last year but luckily the only needed the usual three injections over three weeks so the vet did them. I'm not sure I'd be able to inject a rabbit myself. I'd be so worried I'd mess it up.... heck, I get panicky administering eye drops! :lol:

It is illegal to treat somebody elses bunny but not your own.

the problem with vaccinations is that the myxi does need to be given intradermally which does take some practice and if you accidentally inject yourself with the VHD vaccine you will probably loose your finger, and my vet once told me it can actually kill you :?

:? i would only go to my vet for vaxinations too, i prefere the myxi vax to be 10 % under the skin, my last lot of vax where just straight in,

also my vets will only vaxinate if a bun is healthy and will only do myxi and VHD min of two weeks apart

yup vhd vaccine is VERY BAD for humans. One vet would refused to vaccinate my rosie if she was still as uncontrollable when she came in for her VHD (she ran off the table 3 times). I understand that if you inject yourself by mistake then what ever you inject has to be amputated......

yup vhd vaccine is VERY BAD for humans. One vet would refused to vaccinate my rosie if she was still as uncontrollable when she came in for her VHD (she ran off the table 3 times). I understand that if you inject yourself by mistake then what ever you inject has to be amputated......

:shock: my god, and we stick this in our bunnies ???? what happens if its myxi vax accidently in humans

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, now I understand why my vet always tells me to let go once he's got the VHD syringe out the packet! I always thought it because it might sting and the rabbits might bite. :lol: DUH!

Just thought - my favourite vet, the one that seems best with small animals, only has three fingers on one hand.... I wonder..... :lol:

Back