• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming rabbits?

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
I am assuming that rabbits should be wormed like a dog or cat would be?

I have discovered that Panacur in a syringe appears to be the most common method BUT

How often should a rabbit be wormed and is Panacur the best? Also, what price should I be expected to pay? (I know some vets have really over the top prices!).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Panacur is a very effective wormer for bunnies.
They recommend using it 2-4 times per year.
The recommended dose is 1 graduation per 2.5kg body weight for 9 consecutive days. This is long enough to protect against internal parasites and Encephalitozoon cuniculi.
If a bunny is suspected to actually have E. Cuniculi then a 28 day course is needed.
I can not remember exacty but I think we payed around £6 for Panacur.

Forgive me if this is a mega stupid question but is it essential to worm your bunnies? I've never really thought about it :oops:

Panacur can be bought in P@H for about £6, you don't need a prescription but they will ask you if you know how to use it etc. You can buy it online ffrom vetuk for £3 something, but have to pay postage :D

Not a stupid question dont worry! up until around 4 months ago we did not know about worming bunnies!
It is not a necessity but is advised.
I was told that buns can have the parasites from birth so it is a good idea to worm them to stop these becoming a problem. I think it is more important to worm if there is more than 1 bun being kept together.

Forgive me if this is a mega stupid question but is it essential to worm your bunnies? I've never really thought about it :oops:

I never thought about it until Vin got EC and I started using panacur, which is a bit late really. :roll: Like anything, it's recommended but not essential like a myxi vaccine. Someone posted a link not too long back about the new research and effectiveness of worming bunnies, I'll see if I can find it.

*phew* I just thought I was being amazingly naive. Think a trip to P@H is called for.

Archie and Leo are going to hate me ...

Little tip: If you do not fancy syringing it this is what we do as Jims is virtually impossible to pin down :lol:

We squeeze the liquid/paste on to a basil leaf then sandwich another leaf on top then he just gobbles it up no problem and even looks at me after as if to say ''next!'' :love:

Little tip: If you do not fancy syringing it this is what we do as Jims is virtually impossible to pin down :lol:

We squeeze the liquid/paste on to a basil leaf then sandwich another leaf on top then he just gobbles it up no problem and even looks at me after as if to say ''next!'' :love:

Brilliant idea. I know for a fact my two won't appreciate me poking them.

Back