• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

organic veggie/fruit baby food for dental buns?

Mia

Warren Scout
Hi

I have a bunny who has quite afew things wrong with him, but the one I need to talk about today are his teeth (or lack of) his incisors have been completely removed and after an x ray the other day the vet was horrified with the rest of his teeth. It is now very likely that they will break down and get re-absorbed which quite frankly is a good thing as no more suffering.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I am giving him organic baby food at the moment (no added sugar low fruit acid etc etc) as this is the only way he is tolerating having Baytril (for another ailment!!)
The baby food seems to be suiting him very well, no more caecotrophs that normal etc. Is this ok? One day he will have to be solely on soft food but I remember reading somewhere that bunnies should not have cooked veg.

ps as the moment he is also on softened with water supa xl mature, v finely chopped supa forage, dried crumbled plantain and veg such as v finely chopped cucumber, sugar snap peas, parlsey, romaine etc.

I found this thread on the same problem:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11

Reading that, most people soften pellets with warm water, or cut the veg up into small pieces, or fed small amounts of porridge (made with water) if the rabbit needed to put on weight. Also, Junior pellets are smaller and more managable. Other suggestions are herbs, watercress, grated carrot, hay chopped up very small. It sounds like most toothless rabbits manage to adapt.

You're right that buns shouldn't eat cooked veg. Have you tried Critical Care, or Recovery Diet at all? Those would be better as they're rabbit-specific food.

Back