• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you (or a vet tell) is a rabbit is neutered

happybunny

Mama Doe
As the title says, is this possible?

We have just adopted a rabbit from rabbit rehome and she is a little aggressive. the previous owners have said she is neutered but I wondered if there is any way of telling.

Thanks

Its possible she is neutered :) My Lottie is neutered, but shes still aggressive at times xXx

I've wondered this as last week I rehomed a bun from the adoption part of PAH and was told she was spayed. I am bonding her with my male (neutered) bun but when I took her to the vet for her myxi I asked if he could confirm she had been spayed. He shaved her tummy and there was no scar so he thought it unlikely.

I don't want her to have an invasive procedure if there is a chance she has already been spayed so will ask about an U/S.

Thank you.

Actually, I've often wondered this. Not that it's ever been a problem for me - I got my buns neutered myself so I know for sure they're done! Lol :lol:

Males would be obvious but I don't know how you could be sure with females. The scars, I assume, could heal totally over time.

I wonder if the vet could tell with some kind of blood/urine/poop test. Surely a neutered female bunny would have much lower levels of certain hormones?!

Scientific stuff is a bit beyond my brain capabilities so I might be talking rubbish! :roll::lol::lol::lol:

I've got to take one of my cats back to the vet so will ask him then about tests to check if Gemma (my bunny) has been spayed. I really don't want her to be opened up and then the vet find she has already been done. I know it's a routine op but all ops have their risk and if there is any way of checking first I would be much happier.

All my cats have been neutered and I can't see their scars at all. Gemma has clearly been handled a lot and I don't know why her previous owners woud say she had been spayed if she hadn't unless they thought PAH wouldn't accept an entire bun. My vet seemed to think there would be some sign of a scar once he had shaved her.

If I don't get her done and then she gets cancer, I will feel awful but if I do get her done, she has already been done and she dies under the anaesthetic I would also never forgive myself. It must be a common dilemma with rescue buns.

It's a shame I don't speak fluent bun as if I did I could just ask her:)

Just wanted to add that endoscopy can be used too. The rabbit is sedated and a small endoscope is inserted in the vagina and used to look at the cervix, there will be scarring there if the rabbit is spayed. It does require special equipment though and the vet will need to know what to look for.

Back