• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing for Spring... (and those pesky flies that come with it!)

Wizzy Lizzy

Warren Scout
Hi,

Does anyone/has anyone ever put mosquito netting up at their hutch doors to stop flies getting in their bun's hutch?

I keep Daisy and Lorenzo's hutch really clean (I spot clean it twice a day and totally clean it out once a week) but it will be my first spring/summer with rabbits and I am worried about the potential for them to get fly strike.

Obviously flies could get in when the door is open and they have the run of the patio but I was wondering if it is any use to use netting on the doors when they are just in their hutch.

I have found some online that is almost see-through. They love lying in the upper level of their hutch snoozing or watching the world go by so I don't want to block their view but if it could help stave off flies maybe it would be worth it.

Also, I have invested in some fly guard (or is it called rear guard - I'm in work and can't remember!). Has anyone used this before? When did you start applying it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

A friend on here suggested spraying that lemon smelling oil...mix it with water...
flies hate the stuff.
If your bunnies are healthy,not overweight etc and clean (as you are doing so,Im the same),one shouldnt have any problems.
Horrid flies.Enough to drive a bunny mummy barmy!!

I think all that cleaning your doing would be enough!! I have that fly guard stuff and I spray it on every week when I fully clean out the hutch. Maybe some mosquito netting would be good as well.
Oh and every day check your bunnys bottoms and make sure they are clear (you probably already know that).
Hope I helped :)

As everyone has said, as long as your bunnies bottoms are clean and the hutch is relatively clean you shouldn't have a problem.

I have fly-wire mesh stapled around my bunnies hutch and that works really well and she can still see out.

Back