• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Water - How much is too much?

AilsaDS

Warren Scout
As some of you might know I rescued a 4/5 month old dwarf lop last week.

I won't go into details here but she was living with a guinea pig & eating P@H pellets as well as Guinea Pig museli & carrots - & hay was rationed.

When I brought her home I noticed her poos were tiny & pale grey & she wasn't eating her caecotrophs so for a couple of days I only fed her on hay.

After this I introduced Excel as that's what Phillip eats.. & that night she left all her caecotrophs (they were really soft & squishy too).. so she went back on just hay for a couple more days.

I've since tried her on very tiny amounts of Wagg pellets (the food Jessica is currently on) & she has responded really well to this food.

She's not currently eating any veg as I want to stabilise her poos 1st & get her eating lots of hay (which seems to be going well apart from the yellow poos) - also her teeth haven't been checked as she was really stressed when the vet nurse tried to look in her mouth.. so we decided she'll have a dental check when she's under GA for her spay.

I did also post last week about her back legs but she seems much better now she can stretch her legs & hop/run about.

sooo..
I have a couple of questions;
Her poos are much bigger but they're pale yellow & VERY dry, is this normal?
Phillip & Jessica's are both dark brown.
&
She is drinking at least 2x 5" bowls full of water a day, is this normal?
She's literally drinking the bowls dry & I've given her 2 bowls because I was worried she'd run out of water.

Last edited:
One of my buns used to drink a lot, like yours, but the vet didn't think it was a problem. She now drinks varying amounts - sometimes a lot and sometimes only a little.
Not sure about the poos though...

water

I think thats a lot of water, Ive had rabbits for 17 years and Ive never known any of them to drink that much not even during the summer months.:shock:

I'm not saying I know for definate but the poo's sound like golden poos?? which can be good sign of eating plenty of hay, :D also could be the reason for lots of water? as bun will be thirsty if eating lots of hay, but I would advise you to double check with vet :D

She's definetly eating lots of hay so you could be right - she's tucking into more of it as we speak LOL

My vets is open tomorrow though so I'll phone in the morning & see what she says.

Average water consumption is 50-100ml/kg/24hrs.
Rabbits fed alot of veg etc tend to drink less than those who are not.

If her water intake has increased at the same time as you cutting out veg that may explain it. As would being on a hay only diet. She may have felt very hungry and filled up on water. Given her previous diet its very likely that she would not eat much hay even if there was no other food given. A Dental check would certainly be advisable as would a pre spay FBP if your Vet thinks it to be necessary :)

Last edited:
Back