• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone know what this is?

sillymillie

Young Bun
One of my rabbits is about 8 months old, just after i got her i noticed her head moving slowly to one side and back again, she does it both sides. I took her to the vets and they gave me a wormer, and said there was nothing more they could do. That didn't help, she still does it, but she has put on lots of weight and keeps getting poo stuck to her, and i have to keep washing her bum. She nearly fell out of her hutch the other day luckily i caught her, but i have noticed she sometimes bumps into things. I just wondered if anyone knew what was wrong with her, and if there was anything i can so.

I am by no means an expert, but it does sound a lot like an ear infection to me.

Is your vet very rabbit savvy? Loss of balance and slight head tilting are quite common with ear problems.

Have her teeth been checked too?

Does she have red eyes? I think red eyed bunnies can have sight problems and it could all be due to that...

If your vet gave a wormer (Panacur) I assume he suspected EC? If so he should have prescribed a 28 day course along with some anti-inflamatory drugs and special cleaning of accommodation on days 21 and 28 and seen her again to assess progress.

A loss of balance could also be caused by an ear infection - did the vet rule this out?

The messy bottom could be diet related or just the mobility problems - rabbits need to eat a certain kind of poop they produce straight from their bottoms and if she is unbalanced this could be impossible for her.

Please say where you are so you can be recommended a rabbit savvy vet in your area.

There are two different issues here:

One is the sight/possible balance problem

The other is most likely an overweight/faulty diet problem.

With the first problem the first question is, is the rabbit a red eyes bunny? If so they have a lot of sight problems and so 'scanning' is ver common. If not then s/he may have one of several problems that affect balance. The two commonest are E.cuniculi and ear infection. both can be treated and should be treated. For E.C the commonest treatment is 28 days of panacur or lapizole. For ear infection other treatments are prescribed.

The second problem is most likely due to a too rich diet resulting in the bunny putting on weight and not eating/being able to reach to eat her caecal pellets. GRADUALLY (over 2 weeks) change the bunnies diet to pellets rather than a mix feed, or if already on pellets try a less rich one (such as Science Selective rather than Excell). Also only give about an egg cup full a day and make sure the bun has TONS of GOOD QUALITY hay to eat.

Also having read the post I would try and find a better vet. Start a thread on here saying where you live and that you want a vet recommendation:D:D

Is the head going side to side slightly robotic , then all of a sudden sort snaps back out of it, like in a trance, scanning ? if so this is common with rew's and other breeds with poor eyesight :D

parsnip bun basically says what i would of suggested :)
indeed we need piccies

230.jpg

Is the head going side to side slightly robotic , then all of a sudden sort snaps back out of it, like in a trance, scanning ? if so this is common with rew's and other breeds with poor eyesight
That's exactly what she does. I did change her food, i will put her back on pellets. Here is a pic of her before she put on weight.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IM SOO IN LOVE:love::love: the change in diet says to me the reason for the poo change, it has to be done slowly, she's still young, so a sudden change in foods can upset tummys

there is a lot of info on rews here, yours is just adorable,

Back