• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Giant Rabbit Help Please Advise On Muscle Waste

sandysan

Warren Scout
Hi
Some People Know About Belle On Here ..........
I Have A Giant Rabbit And The Last 4 Weeks She Seems To Have Muscle Waste ,on Her Back Legs She Is Finding It Difficult To Get Up , The Vet Gave Her Antiinflamatory Injection And A Weeks Course , But Dont No Good.

I Love Her So Much I Cry A Lot Over Her She Is My Best Freind And No Other Rabbit Will Ever Take Her Place, I Am So Scared Incase I Loose Her ???
She Is Near 3 Years Old Now

Has your Vet taken any Xrays to see if she has a problem with her hips/spine ?

Has the Vet suggested a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur)? EC, a protozoal parasite that effects the central nervous system, can cause hind leg weakness.
Panacur ( a 28 day course) is part of the treatment for EC.

Its true,giants dont live as long as other breeds but 3 is more middle aged than old so your bun is still young enough to put up a fight.My french lop is 3 & I still look on her as a baby even though the average age of a frenchies life span is 4-5.My last frenchie was almost 7yrs when she died & she put up a massive fight as she didn't want to go.
Barley has had problems with muscle wastage in her forepaw & lameness due to cystitis but somehow has managed to get through it.Dont give up hope,give your bun lots of love & attention,like I mention on your other thread,Give her a reason to fight.:)

My Inca isnt a giant, but she is going through a similar thing with back legs being weak & muscle wastage.

She has had X-Rays and has what looks like a slipped disc, she is also on a course of panacur in case its EC (as per janes thread).

Inca is also on Steroids & Antibiotics.

I would take bun back to the vets and get further advice.

i M FRIGHTENED DOES MUSCLE WASTE MEan she is dying ????
she has been on panacur last year..
she is 2 and a half now . she eats well , she is a house rabbit so she is not in a cage .

she is very spoilt by me i even have her on my bed.

i hope this is not a sign that she is dying

There seem to be lots of threads about your Bun all over the Forum and I cant keep up !!

Could you just keep it all to one thread so as we can all follow what's going on :)

I suspect your Bun *might* have a problem with her spine but without Xrays it's impossible to know if this is the case or not.
It sounds as though you need to take her back to the Vet tomorrow to discuss how best to help her.

Yes Jacks Jayne

Maybe So And I Could Do Without Sarcastic Remarks Like That At The Moment Im Looking For Help And I Didnt Know It Was In Other Places .
So I Am Sorry If My Posts Have Offended You In Other Places But So What I Care Ok . And Do Not Tell Me Where And Where Not To Post Its A Forum
Thanks For Making My Day

In Fact Jacks Jayne I Wont Bother Coming On The Forum Will That Suit Yuou !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!how Hateful Can You Be

Yes Jacks Jayne

Maybe So And I Could Do Without Sarcastic Remarks Like That At The Moment Im Looking For Help And I Didnt Know It Was In Other Places .
So I Am Sorry If My Posts Have Offended You In Other Places But So What I Care Ok . And Do Not Tell Me Where And Where Not To Post Its A Forum
Thanks For Making My Day

:shock:

I was trying to be helpful !!

well it was not helping that remark ... and they are not all over the forum anyway no problem i have got over it now

We are actually trying to help your bun.
More than one thread about the same problem can be confusing, it just helps if all advice and ideas are on the one thread.

Sandysan, Jacks Jane was just trying to help you and your rabbit.
I know you are probably stressed with whats going on but losing your temper with people who try to give friendly advice will not help. Please do not insult/attack other members otherwise the thread will be locked and possibly an infraction will be given.

My French Lop had muscle wasting and hind limb weakness and my vet found it was a tumour on his spine, he died at about 18 months old, because at the time, it was inoperable. This doesn't mean that's what is wrong with your bunny but worth getting the all clear on that possibility.
As already said, xrays should be the next course of action. :)

i do not insult or attack anyone to my knowledge i did not know i post all over the forum and worrying about my rabbit that was not helping , it sounded very sarcastic .
i do not attack or insult i am not that kind of person but hey yes i am very upset and crying and the last thing i want to hear is something about posting all over the forum .
but thanks if that is help

errrr leann wherever did you get insults and attack from ????????????

ok if you want to be like that i will remove myself from the forum.
thanks a lot for the help not

In Fact Jacks Jayne I Wont Bother Coming On The Forum Will That Suit Yuou !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!how Hateful Can You Be

I think this is where the insult/attack remark from the mod came from.

There was no sarcasm in Jane's comment, she was simply informing you that keeping all your info in one thread makes it easier for people to advise you.

If you choose to stay on here you will find some excellent advise and Jack'sJane is by far one of the forum's most knowledgable members. If you choose to go to another site that is your choice. Good luck helping your bunny.

Back