• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i feeding my bunnies enough?

beki

Mama Doe
My two bunnies always seem to be starving! i am wondering whether it is just becasue they are bored during the day as i have to keep them locked in a dog crate whilst i am out but they seem to be eating loads more than they used to. I suspect that ruby isn't sharing so much with reggie as she is a bit of a piggie!

In the morning i give them a handful of pellets between then and a big bowl of mixed veg (at the moment it is spring greens, brocolli, carrots and sprouts and probably about 3 large handfuls full) and top up the hay rack (which is quite small - will be looking at getting another) by the time i get home from work all food (except perhaps a quarter of the hay rack of hay) has gone and they are practically begging for food so i will put another hand full of pellets in and top up the hay. I was feeding pellets in one meal but have recently split it into 2 to see if this helps. Am i feeding them enough? I don't want ruby to get fat and i think she has put a bit of weight on recently!

My bunnies always look as though I am starving them. Bungle is in our kitchen so sits begging for food all the time, Snowdrop has weeks where she doesnt eat so when she is feeling good she eats like a horse and Strawberry would eat me if I sat still long enough!

Mine get a handful of pellets each twice daily and veg at around 6pm. Bungle also gets a treat every time I walk past hsi cage as he is just so cute at begging!

bunnies do act as if starved most of the time as to keep them trim they have to be given very little pellets/veg and lots of low nutrient hay to mimic their natural diet.

I notice that you say they are in a dog crate for most of the day. Is it possible to attach a run to it perhaps if they are having to spend lots of time it it so they have a bit more room to explore & move around?

Hi thanks for the replies, the problem is i have two cats. The cats can get into the bunny room and can also break into the indoor run i have currently, also one of the rabbits can break out of the run! The cats don't hurt the bunnies, they are actually a bit scared at ruby as she headbuts them!

the door to the rabbit room doesn't close properly and can easily be pushed open by the cats. If i could get the cats to not open the door then i wouldn't mind having the bunnies free range all day in the room. There are no other rooms suitable in the house for the bunnies to go in :( really i need new doors but i have so many household projects going at the moment i can't afford them as i will need someone to come in and deal with the frames as i am sure they are not straight! they are ancient and covered in so much paint!

I will be glad when it is a bit warmer and the bunnies can go outside again.

Back