• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bite to bum?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Went to groom Flop & Bramble today and whilst checking Flop's bottom I noticed that he seemed quite swollen & looked like he had what I can best describe as two yellow spots in the unbroken skin (?pus). He's fine in himself eating & boinging around. I think he & Bramble may have had a bit of a squabble as there's a tuft of Flop's white fur in the run & a tuft of Bramble's black fur upstairs in the hutch. Checked Bramble over and she's fine no swelling or anything & again normal behaviour.

I'm guessing that Bramble's bitten "his bits" hence the two yellow spots. I'll get Flop off to the vets on Monday to get him checked, but just wondered if other people agreed with my diagnosis?

flopblisters001a.jpg

not sure how you should treat this or what may have caused it-

could it be from like a sharp bit of wire come loose from the hutch? It does sound like its a bite.

bumping this up for someone more experienced to advise you.-sue:wave:

marie_kubiak's online now - you could pm her -she would be able to advise you

Last edited:
Oops forgot to update on this. Checked Flop on Sunday morning and the two yellow areas had vanished and some of the swelling had gone down. Checked on him again this morning and it looks like everything is back to normal - no swelling, redness/yellowness or other signs of infection. He's happy enough in himself - been boinging around & nomming hay and pellets. Decided not to take him to the vets in the end as to be honest there's nothing to see now and he gets really stressed travelling. Will obviously keep a close eye on him though and if there's any concern whip him straight down the vets.

sdf76 - thanks for the suggestion about checking for wire - have checked the hutch & run & it seems fine. They do have a litter tray that they've gnawed and made a rough edge on where they jump in the back door so have altered that in case he'd caught himself on that whilst jumping in the hutch. He and Bramble have been snuggled up and grooming each other all day today so if they had had a scrap they've kissed and made up!

It looks very similar to a wound on one of ours that I found a few months ago (no yellow spots, though). I am pretty sure it was a bite as they had been fighting quite a lot before they were neutered. Like you, I left it and it seemed to heal quickly on it's own.

Personally I'd get to the vets before Monday, as if there is any infection there it could become an abscess, and quick treatment with baytril would prevent further nasty complications.

Not sure whay syphyliss looks like in a bun, but that might be worth looking at too?

Back