• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Ideas & Conversions info?

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
We have the following big shed at the bottom of our garden which is unused. We have power and light in the shed so I thought it would be good for bunny conversion in the summer (just got to persuade the OH it's a great idea) to be home to 2 more adopted bunnies I hope.

IMG_1702.jpg

All I need is some ideas on what I need to do to the shed. It has a wooden floor, walls and needs something doing to the window as it has a crack in the current plastic. Could someone point me in the direction of what I need to do to get it fit for bunny habitation?

Also I wouldn't be able to add a run to the shed because of it's positioning would this be an issue if they had the whole shed to run about in?

:wave: Yes it would be great, you could add a run by cutting the door in half to make a stable door and then adding an aviary style run or a cat flap out to one. Theres been loads of threads lately on sheds and housing, I would search on sheds, runs, housing and see what comes up. Inside I would line it with ply and lino on the floor and lower part of the wall if you want it washable. Although I saw someone used sheets of acrylic to make a transparent wall between two bunnies living space, I think the thread is in photos/stories - Bunny Palace. With regards the window any local glazier could supply a sheet of safety glass made to measure, you just take out the 'beading' round the perspex put the glass in and re-nail the beading to hold it in, I would use some silicon round the glass edge aswell for extra hold.
Should only be approx £20 at most for supply only.

I would:
1. add an aviary or run that the top opens fully, either on the front or the side
2. fully insulate it - polystyrene boards covered with ply to stop them eating is best (i made mine without insulation - big mistake....)
3. Line the floor and lower part of the walls with lino for easy cleaning
4. add a big shelf across the back and/or an L shape shelf along the back and one side - if they can sit near the window even better
5. replace the window plastic with weldmesh - better air circulation - you can put a tarpaulin cover that rolls up over it for the night/winter/wind
6. FILL IT FULL OF BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The problem I have us I can't attach a run to it. If I attach one to the font I block off the path and we haven't got money for a redesign. If i attach it to the side the tree would need moving which would cause a few issues and it would also block off access to the storage area to the rear of the shed. (you can't tell but there is a few foot of land at the back of the shed where the garden tapers to a triagular shape) :(

put the run on the grass and make a tunnel from the front of the shed to the run? think you'd have to block it off at night for safety though

It looks like it would be big enough on it's own and you could have a run on the grass that they can use for a few hours in the daytime?

If there wasn't a run attached there wouldn't be any natural light in the shed area...or would there?, would look great with a run attached though:D

If there wasn't a run attached there wouldn't be any natural light in the shed area...or would there?, would look great with a run attached though:D

It has 2 windows on the front so has quite a bit natural light :wave:

I would love to attach a run but that would mean a big garden redesign in order to be able to do that. I think that would have to be a second stage project in a few years when we had the money.

My other concern would be there is a path just above the hedgeline at the back of the garden and people can see into the garden and I would be concerned if youths etc could see the run they may do something to the buns :(

Hia

Please look on this housing section for Bungle Palace and addition to Bungle Palace.
we built our own run which works out so much cheaper and you can build it in what ever shape you need, to go round the tree if need be. Good luck with it.

We also built 2 tiers in the shed which meant that we could have even more buns. It works so well.

Two little worries .....

What preservative has been used in the past - will it be harmful to the buns when the inevitable chewing takes place?

has it ever been used to stor a lawnmower, motor bike etc which may have left a nasty taint of oil and petrol ?

Two little worries .....

What preservative has been used in the past - will it be harmful to the buns when the inevitable chewing takes place?

has it ever been used to stor a lawnmower, motor bike etc which may have left a nasty taint of oil and petrol ?

The answer to both of those us that I don't know. We only moved in 4 months ago and all I know is that we haven't put any preservative on it or used it to store anything but cardboard.

Surely if I line the Walls with plywood and cover the floor this won't be a major issue.

Just to update that I measured the shed and it is 8ft by 6ft. Would I still need a permanently attached run or would I be ok with a run on the grass to put the buns in for supervised exercise daily?

My 2 giants have a shed the same sized as that :) They do have an aviary run attached. I think if you were to have 2/3 normal sized bunnies it would be fine as long as they could have access to a seperate run on the grass daily :) xXx

Back