• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anyone up? help!

neenee

Warren Scout
Iam known to over-react but when i went into neelas hutch a minute ago i sensed somethings not right. When i picked her up to put her ear drops in she went crazy, she is normally fine when shes picked up. This didnt concern me but once id put her drops in i gave her a bit of brocolli for a treat and i heard her belly grumble, as far as im aware rabbits bellys dont rumble? Shes been eating like a horse lately! Shes not a big hay eater but shes eaten all of it out of her box, straw in her bedding and all her pellets and veg which she normally rations. I felt her tummy and its hard. Do you think she has gas or something? She isnt lethargic or not eating though so im not sure. Also thought id mention shes always having irregular poos, sometimes soft but sometimes rockhard, not so much now she is on SS but sometimes she has diarreah puddles in her hutch. I know im feeding her the proper diet so it cant be that. Shes not had a very good time lately with her mites and everything, poor thing Any help appreciated

Dex did a similar thing to me once, and he seems to have frequent digestive disturbance despite SS and a regular diet etc... it was a vet jobbie i'm afraid. I thought it was my tummy, until i realised it was his. His tum was soft though, doesn't a hard tummy mean bloat? If I were you i'd call the vet.

Good luck, i'll keep my fingers crossed, let us know x

I dont know anything about it - sorry - but Im guessing a hard tum isnt good :?

I think you should call the emergency vet and see what they say!!

Good Luck xx

Is she eating and pooping at the moment? If not then call the vet for advice.

What diet is she on? The "right" diet can vary between rabbits so although you might be feeding all the right things for an average rabbit you might need to make some adjustments to suit her. It can also be an issue with the proportions rather than the type of food.

Is she eating and pooping at the moment? If not then call the vet for advice.

What diet is she on? The "right" diet can vary between rabbits so although you might be feeding all the right things for an average rabbit you might need to make some adjustments to suit her. It can also be an issue with the proportions rather than the type of food.

Im not sure if shes pooping,i only noticed tonight and shes an outdoor rabbit and only poos in her bed so i cant see much but i presume she is as shes eating fine. Ive been giving her mostly hay and veg lately as shes had problems with her poo lately so ive been decreasing her pellets

Was that the first lot of ear drops or have you done it before? It might be she knew what was coming and that was why she kicked off. I would keep a close eye but not worry too much, though of course ask a vet if you are concerned.

If you've decreased the pellets and still have problems it might help to keep a veg diary and see if there is any correspondence between the poop and type pf veg. Some rabbits have a particular type that sets them off.

Was that the first lot of ear drops or have you done it before? It might be she knew what was coming and that was why she kicked off. I would keep a close eye but not worry too much, though of course ask a vet if you are concerned.

If you've decreased the pellets and still have problems it might help to keep a veg diary and see if there is any correspondence between the poop and type pf veg. Some rabbits have a particular type that sets them off.

the veg diary is such a good idea! thanks. Well shes been getting them in 2 weeks now and i do think she knows whats coming so she does make a fuss about it but not like she did tonight. Im taking her to the vet first thing tommorow, hope things are ok!

Back