• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lots of Blood - Very Worried

Gem 333

Warren Scout
Hi,

i recently got a rescue bunny, and have just found a pool of blood in the kitchen, which appears to have come from her back end.

i rang the rescue and they advised that they are not veterinary's and that I should call a vet (which I have, but it is out of hours so I am waiting for them to get back to me).

Im worried as I would hate for her to be in pain, although she is still behaving normally. She is around 4 years old and has not been spayed.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I am pretty sure it is, was kind of mixed in with Urine I think.

i have spoken to the emergency vet and he said she is probably just stressed as she is new to the house and just had a jab (although she didnt look very stressed when she was hopping up and down on the sofa!!)

He also mentiond that it could be some sort of bladder stones....I will take her in tomorrow but he says not to worry in the mean time....easy for him to say!!

If it's mixed in with urine, it's possibly a bladder infection. You can usually tell blood from red urine by the presence of little blood clots.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

I would get it checked out. Is it definately blood? Did it have like bits in it? (sorry to be graphic).

If she isn't spayed it could be a uterine bleed, my Sooty had one at the age of 6 and had to have an emergency spay.

Better to be safe I reckon.

I hope both you and bun are okay! Sending vibes your way, lets us know how things go today at the vets *hug*

Thanks to you all for replying.

It was sort of mixed in with urine. She is still eating, drinking and generally being a little mischeif!! So I think shes feeling ok in herself.

I will let you know how Sally gets on tomorrow.

thanks

Sorry, yes. Took Sally to the vets last night and he said it was most likely a urine infection and prescribed baytril. I have to keep an eye on her and if the blood continues after the baytril is finished then I have to take her back along with a urine sample :shock: (wish me luck getting that one!!)

I have also posted in the bonding section regarding my dilemma there...

Thank you all for your concern and well wishes. All my mates think Im a crazy rabbit lady!!:oops:

I dont want to worry you but it could still be a womb infection , i had my 11 yr old girl spayed when she was 5 because of this and she had the very same symptoms as your rabbit . It started of as what we thought was a simple to treat urine infection , she looked like she was passing the blood in her urine and was put on baytril . I cant remember how long she was on the meds but one day i got up and found her hutch covered in blood , she was rushed in and had an emergency spay . My vet said her womb was huge and she had removed smaller ones from cats . It took sweep about a year to recover from that op because they removed a breast lump at the same time but she is still with me now aged 11 . I hope the baytril works and its only a UTI x

I find it so difficult on a computer, but I'm concerned too.

Can you get a specimen of contaminated wee - syringe it up, & get it tested for blood? [they just put a strip of paper in it] If a bunny's upset their wee can look just like blood but it isn't, it's a natural chemical they make called porphorin. We need to know if there actually is blood there.

If you look at the genital area of your bun are there any old blood stains on the fur?

With a urine infection buns usually do lots of small wees, often you can't see any blood, but when you do, it's more like small clots in it.

I have been looking in her litter tray and I cant see any more red spots at the moment. When I first noticed it it started off as a few (what looked like) watered down quite bright red spots on the newspaper and in her litter tray, but I did panic when I saw the puddle of red. I was pretty sure it was blood by the way it had started to dry around the edge, but it did look mixed in with urine.

The vet checked her out thoroughly, and I do trust his advice so am happy to follow it. It is quite difficult for me to get a sample though as she is a very good girl and the "blood puddle" was the only time she has weed on the floor. Although if I can get a sample, of course I will and take it straight to the vets.

Please do not think I am ignoring your concerns, this forum is second to none when it comes to people who love their animals and I take all advice I receive on the here seriously.

Thank you.
x

Gem 33 I'm hopeless at the end of a computer!! Only you & your vet can actually see what is going on.
Everything crossed that all goes well.

Gem 33 I'm hopeless at the end of a computer!! Only you & your vet can actually see what is going on.
Everything crossed that all goes well.

I know you were't having a go or anything!!

Thought I'd just give you an update. Still haven't seen anymore blood, she has been on the baytril since Tuesday.

Hopefully a good sign!!

Thank you Gem 33. I'm thrilled that her urine is clear now - a very good sign. I always like to know how the buns are getting on.

I'm also relieved that I didn't distress you further by my post.
(I'm in a right state when my bun is poorly :roll: :oops: & certainly wouldn't want to add to anyone else's distress in that situation.)

[I clean out a used syringe & hang on to it to collect "suspicious wee". We can't do a "culture & sensitivity" test on it, but distinguishing between blood & porphorins is dead easy, cheap, & such a relief when it's porphorins!!]

I have a syringe here for her baytril so will certainly hang onto it.

Next challenge is getting her weight down so we can have her spayed. (she has started...sort of humping...my feet!) Another chat with the vet for that one I think!!

Apparently does hump just as much as bucks. I got my buck a toy rabbit for humping, & he confines it all to "cottontail". I have to remember to quietly remove "Cottontail" when I've got visitors! :oops:

Apparently does hump just as much as bucks. I got my buck a toy rabbit for humping, & he confines it all to "cottontail". I have to remember to quietly remove "Cottontail" when I've got visitors! :oops:

Yes it is rather embarassing, though my OH thinks it is hilarious. Poor Sally. Hopefully all the humping will speed up her weightloss! Am looking forward to getting her spayed so i can finally introduce her and Quag properly.

Back