• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

runny poo - help needed

Can someone please help me? Opal (my house rabbit) is having a serious problem with runny poos, sometimes its like brown liquid which she then tries to lap up. She is also still passing normal pellets. This has been happening on and off for months. She went to the vets and had all sorts of tests (stressful for her, expensive for me) and they never found anything wrong with her. She has carrots (about 6 slices) and green cabbage (1 leaf) and 1.5 - 2 eggcups of Dodson & Horrell pellets per day, as well as hay (she doesnt eat huge amounts of this)
One thing I've noticed is that she does drink a lot. When I have try to cutting her food down and just feed her hay this makes her drink more (sometimes a litre of water in 24 hours) which seems to make her runny poos worse. She's fine in herself and isnt overweight, so I don't know what to do for the best. I would be really grateful for any advice.
xxxx

Try to cut out the carrots they contain sugar which could be contributing to this.

I moved mine to Oxbow Bunny Basics T pellet which are hay based and they did improve my rabbits poops, althought he does have some "soft" poops which have returned. It is exensive but may be worth a try. The best thing is hay though so maybe try to persevere but cut back on the veg.

:wave: What did the vet recommend? I would be inclined to get a couple of different hays from the hayexperts, Timothy, Oat and some cheaper meadow aswell and also maybe try and feed some fibreplex, has she been wormed?

I would recommend changing the veg you feed daily (SLOWLEY) a lot of cabbage can cause digestive upsets and carrots as bunny babe said contain high amounts of sugar so should be kept to a minimum.

Try switching to spring greens, herbs such as parsley, basil and mint, more leafy veg such as sprouts a couple times a week.
Try introducing one of these per week and reduce the amount of cabbage and carrot you feed and see if it makes any difference.

I would recommend changing the veg you feed daily (SLOWLEY) a lot of cabbage can cause digestive upsets and carrots as bunny babe said contain high amounts of sugar so should be kept to a minimum.

Try switching to spring greens, herbs such as parsley, basil and mint, more leafy veg such as sprouts a couple times a week.
Try introducing one of these per week and reduce the amount of cabbage and carrot you feed and see if it makes any difference.

Dill apparently is good aswell it is slightly medicinal.

:wave: I think so I am sure I read that, my two love it anyway as part of their 'herby roll' I do a sprig of basil and a sprig of dill rolled in a spring green leaf every other day and they love it x

Aww bless that sounds tasty! I love herbs too, mind you, I like them cooked :lol:

Mmmm in a nice veggie lasagne preferably - yes I do up the leaf in a tight little roll and they have fun with sometimes they try to unwrap it other times just nom nom and its gone :lol: On Christmas day I sprinkled a few of the Burgess Apple snacks in there aswell - it did look good enough to eat :lol:

:lol: That is really sweet, I bet they do love that.
Ooh I love veggie lasagne! Are you a veggie too?

runny poos

Thanks for your replies. I shud've said that I do feed her Spring Greens (not normal cabbage). Do you think I shud cut out the pellets and just feed her hay and veg? Maybe cut out the carrots? I'll try the other greens you suggested. The vet tried her on antinbiotics in case she had an infection. She was tested for E. cuniculi and Diabetes, and loads of other things all of which were negative. They didn't really know what is causing it. What about the drinking? Any ideas.

Did she have full blood tests i.e. to check liver function?

Any changes you do to the diet should be done slowly and it may help you identfy if there is a particular food that is causing the problem.

The one of mine who has tummy problems had all tests done and nothing showed up either (that was a couple of years ago), it did improve with the Oxbow but earlier this year it came back - it would be worse if he were not on Oxbow (he will not eat hay :roll:).

runny poos

Yes, she had the full works bless her. I've just ordered some of the Oxbow pellets so I'll try those. I think some buns have really sensitive tummys, so like you say even the slightest change can upset them.

xxx

Daisy loves carrot but I only give her a tiny bit each day as if I give her too much then she leaves runny poos around the place (as well as normal 'pellet' ones). If I cut out the carrot and just feed greens (spring greens, brussel sprout, a bit of broccoli) with a v small amount of pellets and loads of hay her poos return to normal within a day or so. I hope you find a solution for your bun!

Yes, she had the full works bless her. I've just ordered some of the Oxbow pellets so I'll try those. I think some buns have really sensitive tummys, so like you say even the slightest change can upset them.

xxx

Mine did not like them at first, but now they love them. They are expensive but very good. Again, try to introduce slowly over a few days if possible.

Good luck (I know how you feel :roll:)

Thanks for your replies. I shud've said that I do feed her Spring Greens (not normal cabbage). Do you think I shud cut out the pellets and just feed her hay and veg? Maybe cut out the carrots? I'll try the other greens you suggested. The vet tried her on antinbiotics in case she had an infection. She was tested for E. cuniculi and Diabetes, and loads of other things all of which were negative. They didn't really know what is causing it. What about the drinking? Any ideas.

:wave: Hi mmm not sure then, I am assuming teeth are OK and that the temperature she is in is not excessively warm, so I would then suggest it must be worth trying to change her pellets, I would be inclined if she were mine to get some good quality hay and cut out all the veg and pellets for 24 hours and then gradually introduce them as said before, also give her boiled water rather than tap water if she is drinking a lot of it. Cucumber apparently is very high water content so you could start by introducing that with a small amount of dill one day then a spring green leaf (leave wet) the next and so on. Also get some fibreplex and feed that wrapped in a bit of basil or between 2 really thin slices of banana. You need to keep an eye on this and write down exactly how much she is drinking and how often in a diary and also when she goes to poop - I take it she is weeing a lot aswell?

xxx

They are worth a try even if it helps a little. Good luck.

Back