• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas?

Domino27

Mama Doe
P1000896.jpg

Not a great pic I know, but does this look like a sign of fleas? I've not got any signs on myself, but she's recently started scratching a lot behind her ears. I've done a good groom on her with a fine comb and can't see any patches of small black dirt, however there's a patch on top of her head of dry skin, dandruff style. There's not a lot of it, also a patch on her back - again not a lot. Just wondering what you all thought of it before I go to the expense of going to the vets.

Cheers!

:D

Sounds and looks like mites..walking dandruff...citaedella or how ever its spelt!!!!
Pop to your vet and get some Xeno450.Your vet should tell you to spray every 2 weeks for 6.
Horrible little things they are,if you get a chance to see under a microscope.
These things sometimes infest if bunny is low on immunity.
Get bunny checked out......xxx

As yvette said, it looks more like mite. You already know that fleas leave black 'dirt' - mites leave white patches of dandruff - a combination of where the skin is irritated and even consumed by the mites.

Fleas on rabbits is not very common - there is something about rabbit blood fleas do not like. I have 4 cats and 4 dogs as well as 2 guinea pigs in addition to my rabbit - They all get flea treated at the same time regularly with a "Revolution" spot on the neck (consult your vet to flea treat your bunny, some flea treatments eg Frontline are HIGHLY toxic and those that are 'safe' must be carefully dosed by your bunny's weight) - but the rabbits and pigs are only treated as precaution. I can honestly say that even when my dogs have had an outbreak due to a change in weather sparking a flea plague that I have not seen a single flea on my bun or pigs. If there is, they tend to hop off of their own accord because, as I said before, something about their blood turns fleas off ;)

Good luck with getting it all sorted, mites and fleas are an equally great evil to get rid of, although mites can take longer and more rigorous treatment if left untreated.

Cheers, I'll probably take her to get looked at, she doesn't seem to be getting any worse and the bits of "dandruff" aren't moving around or getting worse so must be a good sign as I regularly comb her on a daily basis. I'll get her checked out anyway, she's 3 months old so think I'll be booking her into getting spade as well whilst I'm there for the future. Poor thing! :shock:

Back