• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth noises like chewing, but no food in mouth?

Rabbers

Mama Doe
Is this grinding? I've never heard a bunny gring his teeth and I really need to know whether this is a sign he is in pain.

Ozzie, as some of you know, had a dental about two weeks ago and after a few days of not eating properly, was fine.

Now today he's not eating (I only saw him nibble some greens) and is occasionally making funny noises with his teeth. It looks and sounds like he has pellets in his mouth and is chewing on them. But he isn't chewing anything - it's just his teeth?

What can this be?

Thanks xx

Yeah it sounds like he is grinding.. Rabbits do this when in pain and also when relaxed like a cat puuring.
As he isnt eating I would get in touch with your Vet asap

Sounds like your bunny is in pain, possibly a dental problem. Please take him to the vet as soon as possible! Hope he's ok!

Thanks for your advice again!

We went to vets and they couldn't find anything wrong with the teeth again. Luckily he was nibbling greens here and there all day yesterday.
So the vet suggested we stimulate his stomach again to get his appetite up and reduce any possible inflammation so he had a pain killer jab and has Zantac again for a week.

Hopefully that'll get him eating again!

Obviously they said if he doesn't respond in a couple of days then bring him back and if he goes downhill again after the week course of Zantac.

Lets hope he's just struggling with recovering from the dental!! If not we'll be back at the vet again in a week!!!

It's good that he's nibbling a little veg, but we need to get fiber into him to get his gut working properly = hay. Many vets would prescribe fiberplex syringed into the mouth, for both fiber & to normalize the gut bacteria.
I would suggest this if he's not on a full diet tomorrow.

definitely better than a couple of days ago, yet he is still not eating pellets very much. He is eating liitle and often like soft green leaves from the garden, clumps of grass, herbs, soft ends of greens, occasionally readigrass, some components of rabbit mix etc. So there is some improvement. But he's still not eating normally. And I have to go away for the weekend tonight and so he's going to the boarders (luckily the lady is a vet nurse!) and so will be well cared for, but obviously I'm still worried.
Yesterday he definitely ate more in the afternoon and this morning I saw him eat a load of leaves, grass, flaked peas etc. So there is hope! Just no pellets.
Obviously if he isn't totally better when i get back (or if he gets dramatically worse over the weekend) then I'll have to take him to the vets again.

Just out of interest, when a rabbit gets old and loses their apetite, can it be anything like this? i.e. still eating but being really picky and not eating the full range they were.

I just can't believe its his teeth anymore - he only had a dental 2 weeks ago! and there were no absesses etc. So if its not teeth what can it be?

The fact that he is selectively eating soft moist foods, indicates to me that his mouth is still painful.

Was it a dental for molar spurs (back teeth)? Did he have a GA? Were the teeth "burred back" or clipped? Did he ever make a full recovery from the dental - ie back to normal diet for several days without pain killers?

He had his back teeth burred down on one side on the tuesday and by Saturday he was normal again! He had a second pain killer jab a couple of days after the burring, but was def normal by sat. then he started being fussy again about a week later.

Yes he had a GA.

It's good that he had a GA - that means that they could see all his teeth well.
Burring is good too. Clipping can cause tooth microfractures or even loosening. So all that goes to the bottom of the list.

It's a bit unusual just to have spurs on 1 side of the mouth only.

Our experience has been that minute lower molar spurs about 1mm. ( thought by all vets to be causing no trouble,) actually gave endless trouble feeding Thumps & almost continuous GI problems.
His 1st. dental was almost fortuitous during admission for stasis & desperation to solve 31/2 years of gut trouble. No big problems with his gut since he's had regular dentals for minute spurs!

When he needs another dental he stops eating hay, & eats as your bun does - soft, moist, not much chewing. Unusually in buns he doesn't drink much either, hence wanting fresh moist food.

I wonder if the other side has tiny spurs? They may not be visible with the auroscope if they are on the "cheek" side of the teeth.

After my rabbit has had a dental I always soften his pellets with warm water and he seems to be able to eat these better. Then gradually cut it out until he's back on normal dry pellets. Maybe you could try this?:wave:

Hi again! I picked the rabbits up from the holiday home yesterday and they said that Ozzie had been eating properly and since he has been home he's munched on pellets (!!!!) a little bit of rabbit mix (that i had before i went away to try adn encourage him to eat anything), greens, veg.... the list is endless!!

I can't work out what the problem is....!! but i'll just keep an eye on him over the next week (as he was eating properly before for about a week) and hope he doesn't revert back!

Thanks for all your advice x

Back