• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

Loppy

New Kit
Hi everyone just had a little problem that hopefully some of you could help me with.

My current lop, Peanut is being reluctant in using her litter box. She does her business completely in a corner but not when the box is there. Any tips on how I can teach her to make my life a little easier?

Is she spayed? Getting her spayed may help. I know getting my bun neutered has helped tremendously. Also, before you take her out next time, wipe down the corner she likes to go with some vinegar, to get rid of the pee smell, then put her box over it. That way she will remember she likes to go in that area, but she wont smell her urine around the box, and feel the need to not go IN the box. Also, if she does pee outside the box, wipe it up with paper towel and put that towel in her litter box, that should help encourage her that, "Hey, my pee goes here."

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you for your input. I have two questions:

1) This is probably just me, but your wording confused me a bit. You said that I should wipe areas she pees in with vinegar so that she will "...not feel a need go IN the box." That just seemed a little unclear to me because the goal here is to make her use the litter box. I'm pretty sure you understood what I was asking, but if you could rephrase so I could reach a better comprehension that would be helpful ;).

2) Is there an age limit at which a bunny should be spayed? I'm not certain because I adopted my rabbit from a previous owner but I believe she is at least 2 years old. Hopefully it's not too late because I think the operation could alter other negative aspects of her behavior (I'll get into those in this thread or in another thread later if needed).

Once again thank you for the comment and if anyone else has any more input please share! :wave:

It may also help to put her droppings in the litter tray also put some hay in there..my buns like to eat eat and poo at same time in their litter tray

Loppy, River said she won't feel the need NOT to go in the box, not feel the need to go in the box in other words she won't feel the need to go outisde the box which is the result your after. Or have i just made it all the more confusing?! :shock:

Back