• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald Patches

Claire&Phil

Warren Scout
Could anyone advise about our small lop Smokie who is getting bald patches and dry skin on her back. When this happened before we took her to the vet and she was tested for mites etc but she was all clear. Her teeth were also checked and it was discovered that she may have probs with her teeth but as she was eating fine this would only need to be kept an eye on but suggested the fur loss could be related to digestive probs associated with the teeth. The Vet also suggested using pineapple to help with the digesting and plus gave us Xenex Ultra Spot to use at home. The fur loss problem has reoccurred but now seems a lot worse. Please advice.

:wave: Hi, I was just going to post a simular question with my mini lop too. She also has a bald patch on her back right near her tail. She was spayed 2 weeks ago with no problems and is eating fine and seems very bright in herself. I did read on the internet yesterday it could be the time of year which i find hard to belive but you know rabbits. We are booked in the vets tonight so hopefyully I might find out more then. sorry I can't help you with this but I'm sure someone on this site will let us know more. It would be interesting to see if anyone else is having a problem with baldness at the moment just to see if it is the time of year???

My partner says she has noticed that this prob happens around seasonal changes but I am not so sure.

Can anyone offer further advice?

Back