• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anyone else got a Vienna Blue?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
This is Bluebell . . . rather predictable for a Vienna Blue!!! She is very very handsome indeed.
bluebell2.jpg

I know a couple of people with them (not on this forum though), my two are vienna marked blacks, although i did have a vienna marked sable previously. At our centre a beautiful vienna marked black otter has come in and he is super gorgeous.

Awwwww :love: Lovely colour
Was she from a breeder?

I got her from a rescue (Wood Green Shelters) but apparently she was put there by a breeder (not sure why, or why a rescue should take in breeder stock), she still had a ring round her leg when first taken in.

I know a couple of people with them (not on this forum though), my two are vienna marked blacks, although i did have a vienna marked sable previously. At our centre a beautiful vienna marked black otter has come in and he is super gorgeous.

Gosh! Had no idea they came in so many varieties!

You can get a vienna marking in any colour (except REW, and BEW), even a butterfly, but obviously you can't necessarily tell with that.

So how does that work? I know nothing about breeds but had been told by someone that a Vienna has to have eyes, whiskers, tail and all hair the same colour (in our case 'blue) - but obviously a butterfly couldn't be like that.

A vienna marked rabbit is a rabbit that has inherited one blue-eyed white gene (two blue eyed white genes give a full BEW).

For a self colour, for example, my black self, the vienna marking would be any white on them (this might also include blue eyes).

My Badger is a vienna marked.

20081225_8.jpg

As is my Rosie. You can see her white front paws, but that is all the white she has.

DSCN7383.jpg

For a butterfly, they would inherit the one BEW gene, and would get the white markings, but you wouldn't always see them because of how the butterfly marking showed, but they would still be there.

She's a blue self, not a vienna marked blue self then. Doesn't make her any less beautiful though :) i think blue is a gorgeous colour.

ETA- the 'self' bit refers to the rabbit being all the same colour, you can have lilac, chocolate, blue or black selfs. REW and BEW do not come into it (not sure why though :lol:).

You're getting them both confused.

There is a breed called a vienna, and a marking. They have nothing to do with each other.

Vienna marked rabbits often have a white blaze and sometimes blue eyes.

The Vienna breed is just a breed with no markings.

There is a breed called a vienna, and a marking. They have nothing to do with each other.

I never knew there was a breed. Sorry for talking garbage on your thread parsnipbun. We can talk a good confused conversation though.

If she is the vienna breed, then she is a blue self colouring wise.

Sorry!

Ooops - just as well she is my only particular 'breed' rabbit - I am obviously useless at that kind of thing.

So she is a Vienna breed that just happens to be coloured a Blue self then?

Ooops - just as well she is my only particular 'breed' rabbit - I am obviously useless at that kind of thing.

So she is a Vienna breed that just happens to be coloured a Blue self then?

I think the only BRC accepted Vienna colour is blue, although at London show they were trying to get a non-self pattern accepted, can't remember what it was though :lol:

I can't be sure if a rabbit is a Vienna or a blue coloured cross really. Vienna's are supposedly quite rare, but the blue colour isn't.

Back