• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Good 'vibes' needed

My little 6 month old Pixie is being spayed on Monday so please send all the good vibes you can for her :) She is the dearest little mini lop and is jet black! After reading on this amazing forum about after care I've arranged for her to be in the house for a few nights with a heat pad and plenty of very soft bedding. One thing I'd like to ask is, she is bonded with my (nutered) boy Parsnip and they really are 'in love'!! My plan is to keep him in the house with her too while she recovers - he is very gentle with her although twice the size, do you think this will be ok, I really don't want to seperate them at all due to the fact they boned so well 3 months ago. They are both very sweet together and are very spoilt in every way as both me and my husband jsut love them so much :D

I hope it all goes smoothly :) Keep us updated.

I've not kept one healthy, one recovering bun together after a spay, but have done with other operations (mainly dentals, but also a tumour removal). I did keep two girlies together when they were spayed and they recovered much better because of it, I think.

An option is to send him to the vets with her (if your vets are ok with this, and he will be ok with this), or have them next door to each other as she recovers. I wouldn't suggest separating them when she goes to the vets and then putting them back together that evening because she will smell different and he may not realise its her.

Many thanks for the advice, I will let you know how it goes - fingers crossed all is well. I've just called the vet and they are happy for both my rabbits to be taken in so Pixie will have some company when she comes round from the GA :D I did explain I really don't want to split them up in any way and they agree, they are also going to keep a very close eye on her when she is coming round just to make sure he doesn't lay on her. Luckily I have an amazing 'rabbit savy' vet so all should be fine. Also, my husband has next week off anyway so he can keep an eye on her too.

Awwwhh! Good luck pixie bunny! :love:

I'm quite jealous you have such an understanding vet! I asked mine to take in a pair of my bunnies when one had her teeth burred but they point blank refused. :evil: Luckily, I had no problems at all reuniting them though.

I'd keep Parsnip in with her if it was me. Except maybe seperate them and put them in ajoining cages at night time or when you're not around to keep an eye on them.

Best of luck for monday, I'm sure she will be fine. :)

I have just dropped Pixe (and Parsnip for company) off this morning and now have the very long wait before I can call the vet to see if all went well with the spay. Many thanks to you all for the kind messages, I'll keep you all updated with her progress this week :wave:

Keep very busy between now and when you hear how she has done.

I hope it all goes smoothly :)

:wave:Hi everyone, just to give you all an update: we picked up Pixie yesterday from her spay and she was very groggy although brighter than I thought she would be. As I have read on this forum, I kept a very close eye on her and kept her warm, also I've used the puppy training pads recomended on this site and they are brilliant. She didn't want anything to eat so we force fed the Oxbow critical care which she seemed to like (I must admit it does smell lovely). We are keeping her indoors for a couple of nights just to make sure all is ok. This morning she is eating little bits of parsley and some hay and also a small piece of newspaper :roll:, we are still feeding the critical care but may stop this if she starts to eat more and more today. My husband is at home this week so can keep an eye on her. I really can't thank everyone enough for all the advice and 'vibes', this really is a lovely site. Her check up is booked in for tomorrow so hopefully it won't be long before she is back in the garden where she loves to be! Her partner Parsnip is doing well too and seems to be cuddling up to her more than normal - think he knows she's unwell and needs a cuddle :love:

:wave:Hi everyone, just to give you all an update: we picked up Pixie yesterday from her spay and she was very groggy although brighter than I thought she would be. As I have read on this forum, I kept a very close eye on her and kept her warm, also I've used the puppy training pads recomended on this site and they are brilliant. She didn't want anything to eat so we force fed the Oxbow critical care which she seemed to like (I must admit it does smell lovely). We are keeping her indoors for a couple of nights just to make sure all is ok. This morning she is eating little bits of parsley and some hay and also a small piece of newspaper :roll:, we are still feeding the critical care but may stop this if she starts to eat more and more today. My husband is at home this week so can keep an eye on her. I really can't thank everyone enough for all the advice and 'vibes', this really is a lovely site. Her check up is booked in for tomorrow so hopefully it won't be long before she is back in the garden where she loves to be! Her partner Parsnip is doing well too and seems to be cuddling up to her more than normal - think he knows she's unwell and needs a cuddle :love:

Great to hear she's doing well - what a relief for you. The more hay consumed, the better she will be. Brave little Pixie! :)

Back