• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding ruby and reggie - i don't know if she likes him

beki

Mama Doe
ruby and reggie have seen each other between bars and sniffed each other. Matt has been pestering for them to meet for ages and I have been putting him off, but as the vet seemed a little surprised that they had still not met each other when i told the vet that i got reggie as a friend for ruby, we decided to put them togehter to see what happened.

Set up a new pen in the kitchen - totally neutral, ruby has not been in there since we got it refitted. Put reggie in it and i got in with ruby. He came over to her and before i even out her on the floor she got hold of him just below his ears! i shouted at her and lifted her up and he came up too! she had a really tight hold on him. I put ehr outside of the pen (where she decided to do some poos). Reggie seemed fine, i think she had just got hold of his fur. he carried on hopping round the pen and ruby was in the dining room. She kept running up to the pen and then running off.

Mia the cat came to look at reggie and ruby threw herself at Mia, scaring her off. Reggie then sprayed on ruby! he seems to do this out of fright though.

Reggie has only just been neutered yesterday, so i will be trying to bond properly in a few weeks. Worried now that she doesn't like him! i was assuming ruby was just trying to show dominance when she went for reggie, and he wasn't hurt, but i am worried she might do it again and hurt him!

She is being a bit of a madam at the moment. We brought her in on bonfire night and put her in a pen in the spare room. She managed to rip the carpet by digging and she also growled at matt until he let her out!

I would personally let Reggie get over his neuter first - all that stress on top of a recent op might be too much for his immune system. Give him a week or two atleast. :)

yes got ruby neutered in September.

ETA she is in good health, well atleast i haven't noticed anything wrong, still her bouncy mad self! going to vets tomorrow with ehr though for her mixi vac so will get the vet to give her a quick check over anyway.

No, not going to put them togehter now for a good few weeks, don't want her causing any damage to his sore bits, poor baby!

If one of them has been only just neutered you are putting him at risk of injury by bonding him tonight and putting him at risk of other stress related complications.

Mounting and gripping the other by the fur to hold on when attempting to mount is all part of the bonding process and shuld be ignored as they need to sort out their dominance. However as your male is only just neutered I would leave this for at least another 3 weeks if your female is neutered or 6 weeks if she is not.

sorry i probably wasn't clear in my post, i haven't put them together since the neuter. and will leave it 3 weeks. 3 weeks was what i was expecting anyway for healing. reggie was neutered thursday. i put them together last sunday.

I expected ruby would be the dominant one so if she was trying to mount him, next time i will leave them to it and stop it if she gets aggresive :) He didn't seem at all bothered by it anyway so maybe he was just anticipating her mounting him.

Back