• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Calcium Deficiency in rabbits.

Jetstreem

Warren Scout
On Sunday there was a beautiful 2 year old bunny admitted to the sanctuary where I work. Outwardly he looked the picture of health, apart from his claws being very long.

He went down for his neuter yesterday and on coming round from the anaesthetic his back end became paralysed. The vet x-rayed his spine and was quite shocked by what he saw.

Poor Domino's spine was just a mass of weak crumbly bone :( He was PTS :cry:

The vet reckons that poor Domino has had such a poor diet as a baby his spine never developed properly and so was just a ticking time bomb, and he was lucky to never have become paralysed before now.

I am really gutted, Domino was such a sweet, friendly and cuddly little boy, and even though I only knew him for 3 days it felt like I had known him all his life.

Has anybody come across this before? I have only experienced this once, but in a much older bunny who had been severely neglected.

Cerys :)

Oh goodness that is awful.Have never come across anything like that before.Often worry about Barley having problems in the future with her joints as she is on a low calcium diet for renal problems.

How very sad.

I have heard about calcium deficiencies although not as severe as this (though they no doubt occur).

It must have been quite painful for him so it's nice that he had a few days of love and comfort and was able to pass away peacefully.

Binky free Domino. x

Sorry you lost him. Usually it is the other way around with bunnies getting too much calcium and getting a sludgy bladder as a result. If he was being fed an unbalanced diet i.e. lack of dark green veggies or no pellets (obviously they can manage without pellets but you have to be more careful) then they might not get enough calcium.

Back