• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gurgly stomach

willowholly

Mama Doe
What does it mean when a buns tummy gurgles so loudly you can here it in the next room?& it does this for over an hour.

Is your bunny still eating, drinking and doing normal sized droppings?

When my bunny's tummy makes noises it normally means she has eaten her food too quickly or that she is going into stasis.

Is your bunny sitting in an unusual place or pressing tummy to the floor?

Is your bunny still eating, drinking and doing normal sized droppings?

When my bunny's tummy makes noises it normally means she has eaten her food too quickly or that she is going into stasis.

Is your bunny sitting in an unusual place or pressing tummy to the floor?
No,shes eating/drinking/laying fine.Since shes had this steroid she seems to have a different problem each day.Firstly her breathing was really loud,then her eyes became runny,shes straining[often normal for her] & now her stomach is gurgly.When A new symptom appears yesterdays symptom seems to disappear.Not rushing her off to vets just yet as think the stress of getting her there will make things worse as think this may have been a cause of stress[chasing her round room cleaning her ears]rather than the steroid.She had just eaten & is eating quickly since steroid so maybe it was just that.Steroid wears off around wednesday so if things dont go back to normal then,then she will be off to vets.If she was poorly in herself then I would take her straight away,but shes not.Shes hyper which we know is steroid induced.

Rock bottom loud gurgling means that there is excess gas moving in the bowel.

Those of us with "stasis prone" buns know it as an early warning sign of gut problems. However it is possible to swallow a lot of air when a bun feeds too quickly.

Whatever the cause, gas can cause painful cramping. I give my bun 1ml Infacol/2ml Woodward's gripe water in this situation.

Hello sorry to butt in on your thread but i thought that when a bunnys tummy made gurgling noises it was a good sign that they guts are moving properly? im prob wrong tho :oops: My twos tummies do it occansionally and they are eating, drinking etc ok.

It depends on how loud the gurgle is!
Yes, if you put your ear against your buns flank you will hear quiet gurgling sounds which are normal & good, as you rightly say, it means that the bowel is working properly.
If the gurgles are so loud you can hear them across the room, or wonder whether the bun at your feet has made them, or you have, there's a bit too much gas in there. (Either bun or human!)
Some buns may well tolerate it without problems. A lot of buns have short periods of not eating until they "pass wind", & it can be an early warning sign for many "stasis" buns.
I advised getting in some gripe water simply as emergency treatment should things progress to not eating late at night.

Thankyou everyone for your advice.She seems better all round today.The steroid should be out of her system within the next few days so hopefully everything will be ok.:)

I'm so pleased that every thing is getting better. Good grief you've had a rough time with steroids!
I've learned about a few more side effects in buns!
I sincerely hope that all is on the mend now.

Glad things are getting better. Btw, gas can also cause gi problems in rabbits and may cause pain. Sometimes you can hear loud gurgly sounds from your rabbit. Or your rabbit may lie flat on his stomach more than usual.

Back