• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new House bun - advise please on toilet issue

ninaannechalk

Young Bun
Hi There

I have a new house bun 'Mr Buns' and he is adorable. He is only 10 weeks and gentle, calm and very funny. He has pretty much the run of the house although he often only stays where we are. he goes in to a cage at night, eats in there and does most of his business in there BUT for some reason he will jump onto sofa either when we are ion there or other times during the day and will have a cuddle but also leave a very large pile of droppings and will urinate on the cushion/s - his urine is a dark brownish colour. Now this, luckily seems to be the only place apart form his cage where he does this - why woudl he do it and can I stop it - he is perfect in every other way. How old does he have to be to get him neutered?

When I had Flopsey (my first house bun) the only place other than his litter tray that he woudl urinate was my sons bed!! (Yuk) not sure why but he woudl make a pint of going up and especially when my son was sleeping and wee on the bed as if to say (its mine) not nice but also interesting as to why he did it - got him neuterd and i think it did stop!

Thanksxxx:p

Hiya :wave:

Yep its a territory thing and neuter should help. You can get him done as soon as his plums drop - usually about 10-14wks although It could be longer - just keep looking!

Meanwhile when he does it scoop up the poop and put him and the poop in his litter tray - same with wee - mop it up and put him and the soiled tissue in his tray - he should get the message eventually! Good luck xx

Thank for that!:p

I will do that but the wee thing will be hard as he always does it on a pillow! so i just have to throw it in the washing machine, so I will just pop him into his tray and shut the cage door for a while and hope he gets the message.

he did it this morning - came out of cage, said hello - had his breakfast - then had a littl erun about. When i realised that we werer all upstairs and he was down, i went down, in the front room and as susspected he had been on the sofa, millions of droppings and a wee on the cushion!!! so he obviously feels the sofa is his!! :)

I will keep a check on the plums and as soon as they are there they will be gone again!! :)

Thanks so much for advice.x

my two are litter trained....but given the chance to wee on some nice soft cushions...bisc will take his chances sometimes! :lol:

Lola used to do this whereever I sat - on the bed on the sofa - neutering sorted it out. x

Muppet had the same thing too - I assume it's a territory "this is mine" statement as you say, since he was weeing on the sofa where I usually sit. I dont think neutering 'improved' it as such, more he and I had done our bonding and he didnt need to make statements anymore.

In the meantime, I found puppy training pads useful to drape over the spot that he targetted so you might like to protect your pillows with one.

Back