• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Bedding?

Ralph

Young Bun
Now its getting colder, what does everyone think the best bedding is? I use P@H straw but the last batch was bitty and old and I wasnt impressed! I normally use paper on the bottom and then a layer of hay on the top for munch times. Can anyone reccommend a good warm dust free bedding?:D

We just put in loads of extra hay so that they can use it for snuggling in - having said that they are both at the moment in their run lying on the concrete! Plus it is about 3degrees out there!
I understand that straw isn't such a good bedding as it can be too pokey for rabbits' eyes.

I am using sawdust topped with hay. It does seem like a waste to put down all that hay that they dont eat and was thinking of using straw and adding abit of hay for munching on. I would have thought hay would be more prickly for rabbits eyes?

For my outdoor buns I put puppy training pads on the bottom of the hutch bit (or in my case chicken coop!) and in their plastic tray, and then loads of hay on top of that :wave:

(I use puppy training pads in my guinea pig hutches too - I think they're really useful for keeping the bottoms of hutches as dry as possible) :D

Straw is ok if you put plenty of soft hay on top. Straw is a really good insulator so I find a mixture of the two works well. I've also used shredded paper which is good as mine didn't eat it so I didn't have to keep renewing the bed every night.

I put newspaper on the bottom of the hutch and then some straw and then loads of hay on top. Buttons loves snuggling in his bedroom :D

Back