• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grunting???

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi, recently sooty grunts alot, I have read they do this when they are angry etc but she always does it when I put her food in and when i let her out. Should be her happiest times :cry:

Does a grunt usually lead to a bite? Can a grunt mean anything else or is she just being a moody girl?

x

May I ask,how old is she and is she speyed??
It could be hormonal.If shes not speyed,it may help to get her done.Saves on phantom pregnancies and uterine infections etc.
Mrs Bun used to do all this.Had her speyed and shes a dream.xxxx

Beau does this, every morning without fail, and sometimes at dinner too! Either he gets really hungry in the night, or he just hates mornings as much as me. It's often accompanied by a lunge too. He's been neutered months now and still does it, and he's generally very friendly, so I will watch this thread with interest to see if anyone can shed any light!

Shes 7 months now and got spayed last month, she was abit like this before she was spayed (territorial etc) and it did calm down alot when she was spayed - she was totally different.

But its started again now, shes never really lunged or tried to bite, but i jump when she growls so I sometimes think she does it on purpose to get a reaction :oops::lol:

Im just a bit :cry: because i thought spaying her would stop all this - maybe she is just a grump :love:

Shes 7 months now and got spayed last month, she was abit like this before she was spayed (territorial etc) and it did calm down alot when she was spayed - she was totally different.

But its started again now, shes never really lunged or tried to bite, but i jump when she growls so I sometimes think she does it on purpose to get a reaction :oops::lol:

Im just a bit :cry: because i thought spaying her would stop all this - maybe she is just a grump :love:

Maybe because of the new 'girl' in situ! :( by that I mean Oreo! :p Since Oreo hasn't been spayed has she?

i dont think it's a grumpy thing, cos as you say they do it when they get their food, and Beau is such a foody! Grunting is pretty much the only noise they can make, other than screaming, maybe it's just a vocalisation to show excitement?

Maybe because of the new 'girl' in situ! :( by that I mean Oreo! :p Since Oreo hasn't been spayed has she?

Well you would not believe it - I took oreo to the vet yesterday for a check on the lump on his tummy (still on Baytril :cry:) and 'she' had testicals!!!!!!!!!!! so he who was a she is now a he again - I think the plum fairy is playing nasty tricks on my bun... :oops:

Anyway back to the original thread - Oreo hasnt been done yet but hes going in for a pre-op check up in 2 weeks to see if hes ready for de-pluming and lump removal :?

Starbuck has done this a couple of times as well. I thought it may be just cos we startle him, as he is deaf, so doesnt always see us coming.

Also, when he gets excited around Fay (not bonded yet) and running around, he makes a little buzzing sound like a bee!! Its sooo funny and cute.

We were told by one of our vets that grunting can take on two forms:

a) A grunt can mean aggression/ annoyance- usually if you are taking too long to get their food or they are being territorial.
If followed by a lunge can also mean they feel threatened.

b) A grunt which sounds a bit more like a honking is a happy grunt, which shows excitment and also if they honk and circle you it is called 'The circle of love' :love:

Last edited:
i dont think it's a grumpy thing, cos as you say they do it when they get their food, and Beau is such a foody! Grunting is pretty much the only noise they can make, other than screaming, maybe it's just a vocalisation to show excitement?

Well I was thinking this? because she is excited to be let out? hmmm

I think you know your bun hun so I would take the grunting when you let her out as a grunt of excitment.

I think you know your bun hun so I would take the grunting when you let her out as a grunt of excitment.

Yes I think I will - until she bites me then I will know shes miffed off :lol:

She is usually excitable when she grunts - running round and round in circles like a loony because she knows shes getting food etc...

Helgalush - awww cute - Im very careful not to startle Soots when I approach etc so i dont think its that..

Rimmi is always grunting... hes not angry or hormonal.... hes neutered!! I think we encourage it though, because when he grunts at us I grunt back... kind of like a chimp talking lol!! Hes a great fella.... He does it when there is food around or if hes being nosy and sticking his face in my face... as if to say...."Do I need to get any closer to demand attention hooman?!?" Lol. :D

Rimmi is always grunting... hes not angry or hormonal.... hes neutered!! I think we encourage it though, because when he grunts at us I grunt back... kind of like a chimp talking lol!! Hes a great fella.... He does it when there is food around or if hes being nosy and sticking his face in my face... as if to say...."Do I need to get any closer to demand attention hooman?!?" Lol. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

The advise given here is exellent!

Cassie (neutered female) makes a soft honking/grunting noise and runs round me in circles if I am taking too long to give her her food when she is exited.

I had a (neutered) male who used to make a noise (like a raspberry) when he was grumpy or territorial but that was normally followed by a lunge if you ignored his warning. He frightened the life out of someone when he went into boarding once as they hadn't been warned by the owner of the boarding place about him so didn't know he was really a big softy.

You know your bunny better than anyone and so are likely to pick up if she is in a strop.:)

Last edited:
Posy is a very vocal bun.

She grunts when I put the carrier down for her to get in. I never force her in, just put something yummy inside and wait for her to go in but she always grunts about it. She is spayed.

Also during a recent bonding she actually screamed!:cry: Needless to say the bonding was stopped and the 4 being bonded are remaining in their pairs.

b) A grunt which sounds a bit more like a honking is a happy grunt, which shows excitment and also if they honk and circle you it is called 'The circle of love'

lol reggie did this at ruby the other day, he was in a cage she was roaming free (as they are not allowed to officially meet til he has been deplummed) he got very excited and started grunting at her! she then made him jump, he wee'ed out of fright, it splashed on her, she ran off and that put the end to the happy moment!

About 25 years ago I rehomed a giant rabbit from a lady and her two children - her reason for getting rid of him was that everytime she went near him, he grunted and she was scared he would bite her or her children ( he was a huge boy). I took him and he was one of the friendliest rabbits ever. His grunting was a greeting. He did it everytime he saw me and was just saying 'Hello'. If yours hasn't bitten or lunged I would assume this is the same situation Funnily enough this bunny was called Sooty too. Try talking as you approach and not jumping or reacting to the grunt. Fingers crossed.:wave:

Back