• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny Has Fleas Please HELP :(

roshill

New Kit
Hello Guys,

I have a bunny just bought him a 2 months back he was doing well but since he is white and while playing I noticed him scratching alot than usual so I took a closer look and noticed fleas on his fur coming up occasionally . I feel really strongly for the bunny i tried to kill a few my catching them in my hand and dipping them in a water filled with bowl. I really dont know what to do since I have never had ticks in my hair ever . And what kind of medication should i use . I feel more hurt each time he scratches and itches . Please guys tell me the necessary steps to cure them. And how long can a bunny survive fleas and Is it a serious condition ?

I noticed his poo is also getting a little soft should i be concerned since i only feed him timothy hay and pellets and occasionally grapes or small slice of an apple .

hiya:wave: I've had a piggy with mites it's horrible to watch them scratch and be uncomfortable :cry: take him to the vets first thing tomorrow I got ivermectin for mites I'm not sure if it's the same for fleas. As ofc throw out all his hairbrushes etc and give his housing area and total cleanout with good pet parasite disinfectant. I think alcohol can kill fleas? If you see some try putting a cotton ball dipped in alcohol (like vodka etc) and pressing it down on them.
Hope the bunny feels better soon :wave:

You need to use advatage for fleas. This is prescription only so you will need to see a vet

Never use frontline it kills rabbits

You need to use advatage for fleas. This is prescription only so you will need to see a vet

Never use frontline it kills rabbits

Yup, and if your vet tries to give you Xenex, which is also licensed for use in rabbits, be aware that it gives a lot of rabbits negative reactions. I even lost a bunny to it. I have used Advantage on all 17 of mine and didn't have any problem.

You will also need to treat the environment too.

Is your bunny uptodate on his myxi jab?

Same as the rest said, a trip to the vets should sort bunster out.

My two have mites at the moment, so i kinda know how you are feeling!

Vibes for a speedy recovery x

Yup, and if your vet tries to give you Xenex, which is also licensed for use in rabbits, be aware that it gives a lot of rabbits negative reactions. I even lost a bunny to it. I have used Advantage on all 17 of mine and didn't have any problem.

You will also need to treat the environment too.

Is your bunny uptodate on his myxi jab?

I will definitely try to get advantage for my bun . I don't think I will be able to take him to the vet here its really costly and I can't help the fact that my friend's kitten has fleas as well and he wont do anything about it . Its actually where he got the fleas from. They adopted a kitten from a poor neighbor hood and well they don't have her vaccinated dewarmed etc. I think i have to treat his cat as well .

Fleas out of 17 buns is a hard job and i know that your experienced could you tell me where to apply the cream or lotion once I get it and what else can i do to prevent it from happening . And is advantage available for bunnies or should i get the one provided for cats ?

Last edited:
I really think you need to have your bun checked by a vet. Is it definatley fleas your rabbit has or is it mites?

Unfortunatley for your bank balance if you have taken on a rabbit you are responsible for its welfare and providing it with the treatment it needs, likewise your friend with the kitten.

If the two are in contact and both have fleas it would be futile treating one and not the other. If you are clear about the parasite in question perhaps your vet will dispense the treatment without seeing him, some will if the animal has been seen within a certain amount of time.

Otherwise, if you are in financial difficulties you may be elegible for treatment with the PDSA. If you are in difficulties how are you managing vaccination costs, neutering etc?

I will definitely try to get advantage for my bun . I don't think I will be able to take him to the vet here its really costly and I can't help the fact that my friend's kitten has fleas as well and he wont do anything about it . Its actually where he got the fleas from. They adopted a kitten from a poor neighbor hood and well they don't have her vaccinated dewarmed etc. I think i have to treat his cat as well .

Fleas out of 17 buns is a hard job and i know that your experienced could you tell me where to apply the cream or lotion once I get it and what else can i do to prevent it from happening . And is advantage available for bunnies or should i get the one provided for cats ?

You wont be able to get advantage without seeing a vet and as I said before it is the only thing safe to use on rabbits for fleas. It is the same one for cats it is based on weight rather than species :)

You wont be able to get advantage without seeing a vet and as I said before it is the only thing safe to use on rabbits for fleas. It is the same one for cats it is based on weight rather than species :)

Yeh, that. There isn't anything more to say really, you can only get it through a vet because it requires a prescription.

Back