• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet nightmare

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I took Ruby to the vet this morning for her myxi jab. She knew something was up as soon as I came into her room to get her in a box to go. She's a very sensitive little bun, as she's only been rescued for 2 weeks. Anyway, we got there and got into the vet's consulting room and she leapt out of the box on to the floor :shock: a BIG drop, and then OUT OF THE DOOR as the vet had left the door ajar while he was talking to a woman with a DOG :shock: she then ran up the corridor of the vets with the dog FOLLOWING HER. My heart was in my mouth as I was trying to corner her but she'd scootle out of my grasp whenever I thought I'd got hold of her. The only people who helped me were the vet nurses who grabbed the dogs and tried to trap her, and the vet was laughing at the whole scene. Anyway, I finally got her on the table and told him to check her legs to make sure she hadn't hurt herself on the drop and he briefly felt them and said "she's fine, she's fine.." So I held her down while he myxi-d her and we left. Anyway, I've got her home and she's now LIMPING slightly :shock: so I've called the vets again and we're going BACK this afternoon.

I just don't understand the vet's attitude - buns, especially rescue buns, are scared and skittish and it's not funny to watch a dog chase a bun up a corridor in your practice. They are normally excellent vets (one of them especially is great) so I will keep going there, but never see this bloke again.

If Ruby is still hopping, but limping slightly, is this just a sign that she's bruised it?

Yes she could have some soft tissue injury, a sprain, pulled a ligament or tendon or even broken a small bone, but if she is fairly mobile and not limping too much it could just be inflammation or bruising rather than anything too serious, hopefully she will be ok. I would certainly get her properly examined this avo, and ask from some anti-inflammatories to help any swelling or pain. If you've got some Bach five flower rescue remedy I expect a couple of drops for her on a raisin and a couple of drops for you will help you both with the shock of the morning.

Hoping she is ok x

This vet sounds awful! I can not belive he would laugh at the whole thing that is terrible.
If I were you I would seriously consider trying another vet as he clearly does not sound like he is in the proffesion due to animal dedication.

What you described is one of my fears with Jimby, he is a very nervous bun esspecially at the vets, I am so glad you were able to capture her in the end.

I can not really offer much in the way of advise as I do not really know much about this problem but I would tend to agree with the last post, if she is still mobile I think that does point toward something less serious.

If she's just bruised then Arnica will help (homeopathic pills). When Parsnip broke his leg he held it up constantly. I should imagine it's just bruising or pulled muscles if she's bearing weight on the limb. Hope she feels better soon.

This vet sounds awful! I can not belive he would laugh at the whole thing that is terrible.
If I were you I would seriously consider trying another vet as he clearly does not sound like he is in the proffesion due to animal dedication.

What you described is one of my fears with Jimby, he is a very nervous bun esspecially at the vets, I am so glad you were able to capture her in the end.

I can not really offer much in the way of advise as I do not really know much about this problem but I would tend to agree with the last post, if she is still mobile I think that does point toward something less serious.

I agree

thanks guy, that's really helpful to have your support.

Now she is not eating and has stopped pooing and keeps hiding whenever I go in to see her... I really don't want her to get stasis....

She may be too stressed and scared from all of this. Ask the vet for some gut stimulant this afternoon, hopefully would make her eat again.

OMG - I would have been distraught if this had happended to me :shock: I had a bunny jump of the table once as well, but the door was shut (I always check this now) - and that was bad enough. Poor you and poor bunny - hope everything is ok. xx

Back